2001 Altima Code P1126 - Suspect Thermostat

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
JoseIbarra
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa

2001 Altima GXE 2.4L - 86K Miles

Service Engine Soon (SES) came on and code is P1126 which I read is Throttle Control Motor Relay Circuit Open but could just be the thermostat.

Coolant levels are fine, the car is not overheating and seems to achieve a normal operating temperature is a reasonable amount of time and the temp gauge is steady/normal range where it always seems to be.

I have acquired a Stant 170 thermostat and Fel-Pro gasket now and wondering should I use any kind of gasket sealer on the gasket and if so what is best or should I just put it on dry or something else...

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

P1126 on an '01 Altima has nothing to do with the TC Relay, it's a thermostat performance code indicating the car took too long to warm up. Either the thermostat is not closing completely or your ECT sensor is malfunctioning.

JoseIbarra
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa

It is my intent to replace the suspicious thermostat.

The question is:

I have acquired a Stant 170 thermostat and Fel-Pro gasket now and wondering should I use any kind of gasket sealer on the gasket and if so what is best or should I just put it on dry or something else..

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You won't hurt anything by using a thin film of sealer on the 'stat housing side, but never seal the block side. That pretty much goes for any gasket on any engine. It's okay to lightly "oil seal" the block side if the gasket is paper, fiber, or cork. A light coat of vaseline is okay if it's rubber or steel. Make sure the bypass hole (burp hole) in the 'stat is at the 12 o'clock position when you install, otherwise you may have problems bleeding air from the system.

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”