2000 vs TR4 parts?

Fairlady, Datsun Sports, Roadsters... whatever you want to call them, this is the place to discuss the Datsun SPL311 and SRL311!
ArtDent
Car: Datsun2000

Hi,

I'm debating between two cars in my area for a purchases. One is a 2000 roadster, the other a 1969 TR4. I'm wondering about parts. I seem to see a lot more ads in the mags for Triumph parts? Or am I just imaging it? Can you get nearly any part you might need for restoration of a 2000 without a giant hassle (v. TR4)?

How reliable would you say the 2000 is v. the TR4? And if something is going to break on the 2000 what is/are the most likely problems?

What you you say is a fair price for a good quality "daily driver?" I.e., not a show car. Just something dependable with B+ or better paint and all the rust eliminated and runs with standard reliability?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Hi Ray!
I'm Ray!

Welcome to NICO!

If you haven't made your purchase yet, most of us will probably say go for the 2000! They're tough to find and carry more value. Plus, they're more reliable, which means you can drive it WAY more often!

Either way, whatever you get, post it up!

ArtDent

Hello Frapjack, et al,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I did, indeed, buy the Fairlady 2000! (instead of a TR4). In fact, she's in a trailer somewhere tonight between Lodi, CA and Grapevine, Texas (a northern suburb of Dallas). All evening I've been going around the house paraphrasing the song Glen Campbell made famous, but with a wee twist that is not hard to spot. "By the time she gets to Phoenix, I'll be sleeping."
I've attached a link to Dropbox where their are quite a few pics of the new member of the family. (I hope it works, Dropbox has been having its troubles this evening. I'll also see if I can paste and image or two at the end of this message (I'm pretty much of a newbie at forums). I think (but am not sure) I'm going to keep this one for occasion outing around town and maybe an occasion Mitty race. I had a lot of sports cars over my 68 years, and I've typically not been able to avoid the temptation to turn them into racers. Actually I had a Fairlady 1600 back in 1969 when I was in grad school, but couldn't quite afford the 2000 that I really wanted. Back in those days my wife and I were pretty active in the SCCA, including driving down pertty often from Chapel Hill to Road Atlanta to time and score the Divisionals and the annual final runoffs. I ended up a social psychologist, but not before I had a degree in mechanical/aerospace engineering from N. C. State. Chapel Hill was full of exotic sports cars where the dealer was often a hundred or two miles away. So I made pretty good money tuning and repairing them to help pay my way through grad school. I had forgotten that a well set-up 2000 was as C-Production car and could typically bury any Triumphs or MGs to be found nearly. And be more reliable doing it, as I remember.

Well, Here is the link to about a dozen pics of the car, plus some others I have owned over the years:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx85mo9web24 ... 4v-ya?dl=0

I think I'm going to put a light bar and a couple of pencil beams in front of the radiator (with stone guards). With the wire wheels, (refinished, I hope) steering wheels, and the driving lights it should have a seriously 60s look about it.

Best,

Ray

ArtDent

Hi again,

I just posted the reply seen just above. But since I included a Dropbox link to my "new" Datsun 2000, after I signed off I began to think maybe I should have included some of the other interesting cars in my previous message. If anybody's good and bored and would like to see some nice pics from Dropbox of other than Datsun roadsters, have a look at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gdeue3lkc12y ... pcCva?dl=0

Not every picture is my own car, but they are very close in color, accessories, etc. I enjoy looking at these and thinking how lucky I've been to make the acquaintance of so many nice mechanical friends to pal around with!

Cheers to all.

Return to “Datsun Roadster”