2000 Q45 Stereo Upgrade

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
lamsv

I have been researching the past few evenings, but can't find the answer I want. For the time being, I just want to add some low-end to my stock stereo. For the most part, the Bose (Clarion) stereo really delivers great sound. The bass, though, is the weakest link.

I want to add an external amp and subwoofer. My question: Does the OEM stereo have any signal processing that lowers the volume of the bass as you turn the volume up? In other words, does either the head unit or the amp that powers the rear speakers, have a safety feature that won't allow those speakers to distort as you raise the volume?

Just by listening to my stereo, I don't think it does (I can hear audible distortion when I turn the volume up). I just want to make sure though, as that could be the speakers them selves failing (cone or surround has failed).

Thanks!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I have had pretty good luck with buying a mono amp with speaker level inputs for bass.. It worked seamlessly with the stock bose.

lamsv

^ I too have had very good luck using the high level inputs. But, I have never dealt with a car of this "magnitude". Up until this point, I have dealt with stock stereos in lowly Accords and GM products. This is my first foray into a car with a purpose built stereo. I think I will chance it and just hook the amp up with no special processing. Thanks!

Bosworth Audio
Car: 2002 Infiniti Q45

You don't need any special processing unit for your car. You can either get an amplifier that has high level inputs or you can get a line level converter to convert the signal from high level speaker wires to RCAs and then to the amplifier. Just set the gains accordingly and adjust the crossover points. If you're anywhere near Charlotte, NC you could swing by my shop and I'd show you the easiest way to wire up everything.

Sapofeo
Car: 00 Infiniti Q45 AE
93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
03 Ford Excursion V10
14 FiST

I very much appreciate the offer bud sadly I'm nowhere near Charlotte. Love that whole area quite a bit though. I also appreciate the information. I'm thinking I've got a fairly simple upgrade path.

1. Buy and install the GROM-BT3 and get that working for streaming music and cell phone use.
2. Install the amp and get more depth into the sound.
3. If the speakers don't seem to hold up to the additional power, I could replace those (although I think they'll be fine).

Step 0. Fix the EGR issues throwing a code. HA

Thanks all
Sapo

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”