2000 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab V6 Brake Rotor (Dessert Runner) 4X2

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
bondsman22601

I have a Nissan Frontier that I am having trouble getting the rotor off. Two people have told me that I should not have to remove the dust cap off the hub to get the rotor off. This thing is set up like an Xterra or a 4X4 with no cotter pin just two allen or torx screws under the dust cap. I have been told that if I remove the caliper bracket the rotor will come off. Is this true?

houdini
Car: 1993 Nissan 240 Convertable - Custom 2001 Nissan Frontier CC

i think you have to do more than remove the caliper bracket. if i remember correct.....4 bolts on the front need to be removed as well. should be pretty common sense once you get in there looking around. i don't recall it being difficult at all.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

I don't believe the 2wds have a sealed bearing unit which would be required to pull the rotor without pulling the entire hub.

Pull the caliper first. Under the dust cover should be a retainer and a hub nut, followed by the outer wheel bearing. Remove these and then the rotor will come off. If replacing the rotors, you'll need to press new bearing races in for the inner and outer wheel bearings, but if you're just having them turned, you can just use a seal puller to remove the inner grease seal and then the inner bearing.

Keep the bearings clean, and you'll need new grease seals when you put it back together. Also, repack the bearings with some fresh grease (it's a pretty messy job - rubber gloves are useful).

On the 4WD's, the hub nut is tightened by feel, unless you have a spanner socket on a torque wrench, which I've never used. A good way to tell that you have the hub nut tight enough is to leave the dust cover off and bolt the wheel on. See if it spins freely and has zero 'chuck' in the bearings (you check this by gripping the tire by the top and bottom and trying to wiggle it. If you sense any movement inside the hub, your nut isn't tight enough. This same procedure should work even eaiser on a 2wd.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”