2000 Maxima clutch

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
mrog71
Car: 2000 Maxima SE

Hi all,

Question about my 2000 Maxima SE clutch. A few months ago the master cylinder went out (while my wife was driving it 200 miles from home of course). I had a shop replace it. The following month, the hose connecting to my slave cylinder busted and I replaced that and the slave cylinder myself. My problem now is this, and actually it's been doing this since I got the master cylinder:

When the car is cold, everything works fine. As it heats up, the clutch pedal gets very firm and really springs out hard. also, the clutch won't engage until the very top of the clutch travel. Sometimes, it doesn't engage all the way it seems, and if I gun it it slips.

I though maybe I had air in the clutch line, and I bled it again but it still happened. I just took it back to the shop and they bled it again, but no dice. They say the clutch itself may be bad. Does that sound right? Any other ideas? Just seems weird that it only does it when the car gets hot.

My other thought on the clutch is this: This just started happening after the master cylinder was replaced. So it's either related to that, or the clutch failed at the exact same time (or as a result of) the master cylinder failing. I'm wondering if there's some internal problem with the master cylinder that's not letting the clutch fluid blow back into the reservoir when it heats up, thereby increasing the pressure in the system. Every once in a while, when I'm having this problem, the clutch will go back to normal, which I'm thinking is maybe this internal problem (something sticking?) is giving way to the high pressure and releasing it? Sound reasonable?

Also, I don't think it's air in the line because of this: The other day, I could barely get the clutch to engage while it was hot. I took the cap off master cylinder and cycled the clutch several times (in an attempt to vent any pressure from the clutch fluid system). The problem remained.

I guess one thing I could do is, the next time this happens (which is everyday), vent the fluid pressure off at the slave cylinder vent valve. If that fixes the problem, I think it has to be the master cylinder.

Thanks!

Oh, 1 more question. I'm reasonable mechanically inclined, and do a lot of my own car work. How difficult is it to change a clutch and would I need to get any special tools?

Matt
Modified by mrog71 at 2:27 PM 3/6/2008

americandream07
Car: 2000 nissan maxima

I am having this problem with my maxima. Did you every find out what was wrong with your maxima. They are telling me its the master cylinder.
if you can give me a call at 615-785-1796 or email.

Thanks,
Steve

FAST-DATSUN

check free play adjustment, you probley do not have any.. adjust until you have about 1-2" of free play in the master cylinder rod.....

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”