2000 Maxima acceleration/idling/staring problem(s)

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
Friedfred
Car: 2000 Maxima

' allo, 'allo

I have a 2000 SE, 5 speed manual - I bought it a fairly short time ago from a lad who babied it - so much so that he only put 78K on it in 7 years: however, I think I am reaping the 'benefit' Had a problem or two relating the gummed up injectrors, etc. (My favourit mechanic tested the fuel pump, fuel filter, MAP, sensors) Big(gest) problem was choking at about 4,000rpm, but gradually more or less overcame that with liberal amounts of injector cleaner.

Now, after the cold weather started (-20C), it would start on the turn of the key, then would gradually die. I would restart, try to keep it going by traying to feather the throttle, but it was 'touch and go' until the engine warmed up some, then not too bad if the rpm was kept to 2500 more or less, then when the engine reached operating temperature, it would idle (at about a constant 500rpm); but acceleration was dicey - that is - constant light foot pressure would get the car 'up to speed', but harsh acceleration would produce a noticable pause, then acceleration.

So, off to my local Nissan dealer, who very kindly suggestion replacing the intake manifold gasket (vaccuum leak?) and the 'front' O2 sensor - Weeellll, replace the gasket and all injectors (see above - 'cause the manifold was off) but the 'front' O2 sensor was 'good'. (Did I mention the cost of this? No? Well, some mechanic had a Merry Christmas!!!)

Weeelll, Same deal!!! (athough it is warmer outside, so not as much d!ck about waiting for the engine temperature to get to operating range)

Now - (It was a nice Christmas dinner with the relatives who live 180 miles away - so though maybe a round trip of 360 miles might 'teach' the 'computer') Anyway - still no 'punch' below 3000 rpm, and in cruise, every 30 seconds the same thing - The car would feel as though the foot was off the gas and the speed would decrease by about 5 mph (time, about 3 seconds), then accelerate back to cruise speed (70mph) (time=hard acceleration in 5th gear), then wait for the next cycle to begin in another 30 seconds!!

Any thoughts?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Welcome to NICO!

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Nice find in a 2000 with only 80k, though!

A few things to consider:It may be caused by a bad MAF, or emissions control equipment (EGR, etc.).This is a fairly common topic with 5th gen owners. Search through the Maxima forum for bad MAF, EGR, rough idle, and related topics (don't forget to search archived threads, too). You should find a lot of info.

Have you checked the plugs, wires, and distributor? When was the last time they were changed?

The stutter on throttle and random wavering makes me thing it's probably a bad distributor or plugs. If so, you get off easy. Usually best to start simple and work up, so this is where I'd begin.

kzoosho
Car: Turboed 1997 Nissan Maxima SE

On yours i would deffinatly check your coil packs. No distributor on that max.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Yeah, coils. Too used to my VG.

DMoreau
Car: 2003 Nissan Maxima, six speed manual. 1997 240sx

Hey. I've changed quite a few intake gaskets on the 2000-2001 maxima's. Customers complained about the car not running good when it was cold but runs great warm and it fixes the problems.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”