2000 I30 suspension / Steering issue

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
MAVERICK863
Car: 00' Infiniti I30

Hello, I have a 2000 Infiniti I30 that the front control arms, outer tie rods, ball joints and strut mounts were all replaced. The problem is the car every few miles has a jerking/slipping feel in the front end and I can't figure out what is causing it. I had an alignment done of course after all the new parts were replaced. The front rotor seemed to be rubbing making a very loud scraping noise and then the jerking feeling as described above. I replaced all the brake hardware and that stopped the scraping noise but it still has that jump/jerk feel every couple of miles. If anyone has had an issue like this or can send me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Thanks in advancde for any/all help

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Yikes! Sorry to hear about your car troubles.

You might want to bring that bad boy back to the mechanic who worked on it since it sounds like it could potentially be caused by their work.

I'll try to get you some more help. In the meantime, check out the FSM link in my signature and look at the exploded views for the area of concern to see if you can jack up the car and start isolating potential problem parts.

MAVERICK863
Car: 00' Infiniti I30

I brought the car back to the " mechanic " that did the job in the first place, He said it's the steering rack but it's driveable and safe so I had my wife pick up the car and bring it home. She was almost in tears driving it. She told me it's worse then ever, so I brought the car to a shop where I trust the mechanic he took it for a ride and almost crashed. He called me up the next day and told me what the problem was. The hack that did all the front end work didn't tighten up all the bolts on the passenger side. So needless to say it wasn't safe or driveable, I just wanted to give an update and thank you for the help. :)

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Wow man, it sucks when you find a guy like that.
Really glad to hear that you, your wife, and the new mechanic are all safe and sound.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I was going to say, it sounds like something was left loose. When the subframe or a control arm is loose, it will shift depending on how its loaded, immediately changing your alignment, and also immediately try to kill you.

You should let the mechanic know that he f*** up royally (TWICE!!!), and should have someone double check his work for important items like that.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

^ Exactly... and I'd avoid that place from now on, unless they give you some sort of concession for the hassle.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Not sure a concession would get my business back. We're talking about pretty shoddy work that endangered lives. Nope. You only get one chance to do right by me when it comes to anything that can injure my family.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”