2000 Frontier VG33E

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
zclaus
Car: 2000 Nissan Frontier XE 3.3L V6

Alright guys I'm new to the forum and have been doing a bunch of research but would honestly like the opinion and guidance from the fellow Nissan Community, anyways lets get to it.

I currently have a Nissan Yellow 2000 Nissan Frontier 3.3L VG33E V6 with a small lift (bought with lift) and is on 33" tires. She's currently sitting around 150k ODO and has just recently had a new clutch installed due to the last one burning out around 1k-1.3k ago so shes still got some time to really broken in. Now Ive been looking into seeing what all could be done to the truck overall to get some more beefiness in her. I've looked into maybe changing the gear ratio to not only make it not try and bog down up hills and also give me a little more high end torque where its needed around 65-85mph where there is almost no acelleration.
I have also thought of maybe looking into maybe an engine swap. I'm trying to do all this on a budget due to it not only being a play truck and not needed for hefty priced parts but it is also my DD.

If you guys (and/or) galls have any info or thoughts anything helps and ill get photos up soon. :facepalm:

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

The 2002-2004 SC motors will bolt in. That's a 30HP bump.
Regearing is a good idea. You likely have 4.636 gearing now. 5.14s are available, though they are expensive. You should check out my axle FAQ at the top of this forum for more info there.
If you're running 33s on a suspension lift, the best thing you can do is a steering upgrade. The dogbone centerlinks turn to junk fast on lifted trucks. Calmini makes a good replacement steering kit, or if you know a machinist, have them drill out the pitman side tie rod end from the centerlink and install a spherical bearing and use a through bolt for less flex. Lifted trucks run greater angles on the tierods, and on the rough stuff, those tierods push upward on the centerlink which can cause frame contact. If you happen to be sawing the wheel at the time, the tierod center adjsuters snap like a twig when this happens and it can leave you parked on the trail. At minimum carry spares.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”