2 weeks till D day!

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Spivvy
Car: EX35

Just bought EX35 loaded. 2 weeks till delivery! Can't wait. Anywhere I can get the owners manual online etc. so I can start my studying early??

Spivvy

Found it. If anyone else is looking here is the link!

http://www.infiniti-techinfo.c...id=61

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Two weeks! Wow - is that because you wanted a rare colour like Tidewater, or because you wanted "Custom Leather"? (just wondering, 'cause there seem to be lots in Ottawa)

Cheers,David

Spivvy

Yeah I got the blue onyx, but i really wanted the wheat. Which has to come with Custom. I didn't really want the tech package, as it is of no use for me. There was only one available in Canada apparently with custom/nav/journey and no tech with my specs, and that was in Vancouver. Its being transported.

dividedhighw

I see - good call. In my opinion, virtually all the available colours are quite nice, which is a rarity.

Well, FWIW, I at first thought the Tech Pkg would be a waste, but then I tried the AVM (Around View Monitor) and was blown away! That thing really works!!

To be able to see the lines and park perfectly every time, knowing that you won't destroy your wheels on the curb - it's awesome!!

The "Lane Departure" gizmos are useless, even a little annoying, but I'm expecting the ICC (Intelligent Cruise Control) will come in handy on the highway ... don't know yet as I've only had mine since last Thu.

Hang in there. If you do another test drive to check out the AVM, maybe your wait will be a little more tolerable!

Cheers,David

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

I agree... the AVM is a pretty cool feature, however the Lane Departure gizmo is annoying for me too.

Oh well, take the Good with the Bad.

I think the Black Interior is the easiest to maintain and the most common & popular one going.

I saw the "Stone Interior" in the Dealers Showroom and it already had Scuff-marks on the Door-sill and that turned me off from that color, right away.

The "Wheat Interior" while definitely different, would take me a long time to get used to, if ever, because of the different colors used through-out... Brown, Black, Light Grey and Reddish Wood.

Also, doesn't the "Wheat" cost more too ? It's a Custom Interior, right ?

Modified by EXceptional at 11:42 PM 4/29/2008

Exceptional Woman
Car: Infiniti EX AWD

EXceptional wrote:The "Wheat Interior" while definitely different, would take me a long time to get used to, if ever, because of the different colors used through-out... Brown, Black, Light Grey and Reddish Wood.

Also, doesn't the "Wheat" cost more too ? It's a Custom Interior, right ?
Hello EXceptional. Nice to meet you! Of course I love your name! That was actually my interior picture you inserted there. I'm not sure where you are located, but here in the US the "brown" leather is called Chestnut. I find it to be a burgundy-ish color. Many have called it chocolate milk, and I don't think I would disagree!

I guess not all dealers will have it in stock, but I lucked out and found my exact color combination and options at my dealer, so I did not have to miss out on any discounts by special ordering. As far as I know, as long as they have it in stock there should be no price difference.

It is definitely a polarizing color and many have expressed dislike of the multiple colors in the pictures. However I think when you see it in person everything comes together (but then again, that is a matter of personal taste). I thought I would be turned off by all the colors as well, but my breath was literally taken away from me when I saw it in person. There is just something about how it goes together with the Dark Currant exterior that is very rich looking. I think the black carpets and top of the dash give it more character and contrast. The part I thought that would bug me the most was the light grey headliner. But when you sit in the car, it really needs to be a light color roof or else it would feel smaller. So I was ok with the roof. Out of everything going on with the colors, the part that really bothers me the most is I upgraded to the wood trim without realizing the panel surrounding the window controls is black lacquer. That just drives me insane!!! I feel like I got ripped off. I must have been so in love when I saw the leather I overlooked it. Oh well. I'll have to live with it I suppose. Infiniti, take note, I am mad at you!!!

EXceptional

Your "Chestnut" is called our "Wheat".

Our Dealer has Waiting Room Chairs in the same Leather Colors as the Infiniti Interior Colors.

The Brown is a very rich Color, no doubt about it !

Spivvy

Im a little perplexed. The wheat is a very light brown/beige colour. Even when I visit the US website they list Wheat. I do not see a "chesnut" They have nice pics of it here:

http://www.infiniti.com/ex/pho....html

If you click the 5th pic down on the list on the right hand of the screen it shows Wheat.

EXceptional

Interesting... when you move your cursor over the Color choices in this LINK, you get "Wheat Leather" as well.

dividedhighw

EXceptional wrote:I agree... the AVM is a pretty cool feature, however the Lane Departure gizmo is annoying for me too.Modified by EXceptional at 11:42 PM 4/29/2008
See owner's manual p.5-17 to put the LDW in "manual setting mode" so it doesn't come on every time you start the car. I did this and am much happier now!

The LDP has to be turned on explicitly, so I just leave it off.

Cheers,David

LEXA

That's strange because the Canadian website color selector for the EX shows you have the same colors as we do (dark brown=chestnut & golden beige/ecru is wheat).

dividedhighw

LEXA wrote:That's strange because the Canadian website color selector for the EX shows you have the same colors as we do (dark brown=chestnut & golden beige/ecru is wheat).
Yes, the colours are the same, but the combinations of them are more restrictive in Canada than in the US. See the chart I posted May 1/08 in the thread entitled "Just Got Our EX35 AWD Journey": zerothread/333120

HTH,David

dividedhighw

EXceptional wrote:Also, doesn't the "Wheat" cost more too ? It's a Custom Interior, right ?
That's only true for Aspen White exterior in Canada. If you look at the chart I posted (scanned from the Canadian brochure), Aspen White only comes with a graphite leather interior, unless you order Custom Leather. But, if you choose a Scarlet Silver exterior, you can get wheat leather with Luxury, Journey or Custom Leather.

Because I wanted Dark Currant and Premium (+ Nav + Tech), I had no choice but the stone leather interior. In fact, a graphite leather interior is not available in Canada with a Dark Currant exterior, no matter the model.

Strange but true ...

LEXA

Oops, OK, I've got you now. I misunderstood. The Luxury Elite in the US (equivalent to the Custom Leather option in CA) only comes in wheat & chestnut in the US too, unfortunately.

EXceptional

I never understood why the Factory dictated what color combos should be available ?

I'm glad I stuck with the Black Interior.

It's all Black and White to me, yes ?

allthatjazz
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx EX35 Tech

EXceptional wrote:I agree... the AVM is a pretty cool feature, however the Lane Departure gizmo is annoying for me too.

I think the Black Interior is the easiest to maintain and the most common & popular one going.

I saw the "Stone Interior" in the Dealers Showroom and it already had Scuff-marks on the Door-sill and that turned me off from that color, right away.
I am about to take the plunge to order my EX35. I was also turned off by the scuff on the side of the seats on the Stone interior, at the dealers. The only problem is Blue Onyx does not come with graphite, and much as I rather a care free Graphite Interior, the Blue is just too sharp to pass up. I will just have to be carefull lugging around all my garden supplies.

I did not plan on getting the Tech package with the AVM, as I figured it would not be of much use/value. However I noticed that both yourself and dividedhighw thinks it a great feature, but hated the lane departure feature.

So here is the questions, is it really worth the extra $1700 to include the Tech pckg or is it better to buy the extended warranty ($1859)?

EXceptional

In my whole life, I've only had one vehicle that I've owned beyond the Warranty Period. The others, I've sold before their time was up.

So I guess you have to decide how long you think you might keep this Car and whether the Warranty is more important to you, than the Toys.

My Wife can't live without the Camera... The Rims would get damaged if she rubbed the Curb, because the Tires don't bulge out enough to protect the edge of the Rims. My Wife can't Parallel-Park if her life depended on it, but now she would attempt it, cause of the Camera's.

The choices is yours...

allthatjazz

That's my problem, I would rather the gadget over practicality. I have never bought an extended warranty before. I plan on keeping the EX a lot longer than any of my previous vehicles and did not know how reliable the Infiniti brand is, so thought the extra warranty may the a good safeguard.

I guess I could always buy the extended warranty when I get closer to the end of the warr period.

Hope I don't have to wait 2wks for delivery.

EXceptional

The Factory Warranty is really good !

We didn't feel the need to go beyond that.

We keep spending lots of Moneu on an Extended Warranty... and the NEXT guy gets to enjoy it, not us.

Never again... like you said, you can always add it on later (for a few more bucks, than at the time of purchase, however)

Jon_
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

Its on the infiniti site. If you cant find it send me your email and I will send it to you.

dividedhighw

allthatjazz wrote:I am about to take the plunge to order my EX35. I was also turned off by the scuff on the side of the seats on the Stone interior, at the dealers. The only problem is Blue Onyx does not come with graphite, and much as I rather a care free Graphite Interior, the Blue is just too sharp to pass up. I will just have to be carefull lugging around all my garden supplies.
Gardening stuff?!! In that case, DEFINITELY get the rubber cargo area protector. Our Subaru came with one and it's absolutely imperative ... with a light interior, even more so.
allthatjazz wrote:I did not plan on getting the Tech package with the AVM, as I figured it would not be of much use/value. However I noticed that both yourself and dividedhighw thinks it a great feature, but hated the lane departure feature.

So here is the questions, is it really worth the extra $1700 to include the Tech pckg or is it better to buy the extended warranty ($1859)?
The Canadian Tech pkg includes ICC, LDP and AVM.

I don't anticipate ever using LDP. In fact, I reconfigured so that LDW is in manual mode and stays off when I start the car (p.2-40).

AVM is awesome and I use it virtually every time I park. If you have any dyslexia though, it may freak you out because the various views mightn't be so easy to process. (I was told this by someone, so afflicted.)

I spent a lot of time using the ICC this past week and can confirm that it works well. You can select from three different following distances and it tries to maintain it, up to your maximum cruise speed. It's not as smart as a person when it comes to predicting that you just can't "charge" up to another vehicle going slower, but all in all, it's worth having. (If nothing else, it can save you from yourself because you're too busy fiddling with all the cool gadgets in your new car ... hard drive music box, MP3s on your CF card, XM stations, Nav, etc ... don't ask me how I know!!)

As for the extended warranty, I'm still considering it because I tend to hang onto a car, not flip it every 3 or 4 years. It takes me more than 7 years to log 100K kms, and each time I drive the EX, I like it more and more; so (even though I'm only in week 3), it's looking like a "keeper" for sure. With all the technology in it, maintaining a full warranty for an additional 2 years is very tempting.

(BTW, my dealer tells me that Nav map updates are NOT covered under any warranty, basic nor extended.)

I started a thread on this extended warranty question, but haven't had that many bites. Anyone else have opinions on this?

Thanks,David
Modified by dividedhighw at 3:15 PM 5/11/2008

allthatjazz

dividedhighw wrote:
(BTW, my dealer tells me that Nav map updates are NOT covered under any warranty, basic nor extended.)
So how does one update the Navi map: Are the updates an item the owner downloads on the SD card then upload to the navi system; or do we pay the dealer to do the updates?

dividedhighw

My dealer suggested that updates would be done via CD, but judging from the way he said it, I think he was guessing.

I'm quite sure it isn't done via CF card though, since it would cost much more for them to distribute binaries that way.

rla
Car: Infiniti EX-35

Hello,

I found the following site with the information on map update. https://www.zenrin.com/infinitiSystem.asp

RLA

dividedhighw

Awesome! Very much appreciated!!

EXceptional

Spivvy wrote:Just bought EX35 loaded. 2 weeks till delivery ! Can't wait... posted APRIL 29, 2008
Shouldn't D-Day have come and gone for you ?

Did you get your Car, yet ?

allthatjazz

Hi Spivvy, would love to see some pics of your new EX in the blue onyx

allthatjazz

EXceptional wrote:My Wife can't live without the Camera... The Rims would get damaged if she rubbed the Curb, because the Tires don't bulge out enough to protect the edge of the Rims. My Wife can't Parallel-Park if her life depended on it, but now she would attempt it, cause of the Camera's.
Got my EX with Tech this week! I love the cameras, they make it so much easier not having to stop to make sure my muffler does not hit those huge concrete blocks while reversing into a parking spot.

Spivvy

Sorry for the delay..was sick for a coupla days.

Got it last Friday.Love it and my wife loves it too!Musta spend 8 hours in there fiddling with all the toys.Love the colours too.Now we just gotta stop arguing on who's driving it too work each day! :P

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”