1UZFE S14A project

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
watty
Car: 1UZFE V8 powered s14a, 05 Titan LE CC, 03 G35 Sedan

Here is my introduction post for the new project. The KA supercharger kit is sold so I can finally put some money into this. We are doing an N/A 1UZFE mated to the KA transmission. Eventually I want to upgrade this to a Z32 tranny, but I have a couple of these laying around. The motor mounts will be finished by tomorrow evening and then the wiring begins. The goal is to have this running by NOPI Nationals. I am using a Megasquirt I 3.0 PCB to control the whole thing. I am going to attempt to use the dual dizzys and trick the megasquirt into a "wasted spark" setup switching between the separate coils. Anyway, I just wanted to give a quick blurb and some pictures. There will be more to come.

Watty

PS- Anybody wanting to through some Megasquirt input my way, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

turbocrisper
Car: 89 240 hatch rb20det

what toyota or lexus did the flywheel clutch assy come off of, I have an sc400 and I am trying to put a manual trans in it

watty

The flywheel and clutch plate are from an mr2 turbo(3sgte). I'm using a Nissan clutch disc.

Watty

turbocrisper
Car: 89 240 hatch rb20det

YOU DA MAN

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

Awesome project!

I heavily contemplated doing this swap before I decided on the LS1. Keep us informed of the progress!

watty

I really wanted that smooth import v8 drivability. And the price for engines is cheap! $1000 locally with wiring harness, ecu, and all of the accessories. And they cranked it up before pulling it out of the car. Good news, it looks like I might be able to use the factory power steering high pressure line with some forceful motivation.

Wiring is on the list next. Updates will come as I get more pics. And, hopefully everyone will get to see it at NOPI in a month. Man I have a lot of work to do!

Watty

300gte
Car: 1986 300ZX NA

Why did you reverse the 1uzfe intake manifold. is the throttle cable on the 240 too short? the reason I ask is that I am doing a similar swap only on my 86 300zx, and the throttle cable reaches just fine.

watty

The throttle cable is plenty long enough. I flipped it around so the intake can be directed over to the area where there is nothing. The battery and fusebox are on the passenger side. It may not stay this way. I won't know until I get the engine in it's final mounting spot and check for hood clearance.

Watty

300gte

Oh, I never thought of that. Was the ka a front sump engine, as i see that is an LS4000 engine correct? My 300zx needed the engine from an SC400, because it had a rear sump.

watty

Yup, that is an LS400 engine. I wish it was a little less towards the front. The swaybar and oil pan are not getting along at all. Oh well, off to the drawing board. We'll see if that engineering degree was worth the money.

Watty

300gte

Why dont you use an SC400 oil pan? They are rear sump pans. The crossmember and swaybay were hitting on my project as well until I swaped the LS400 oil pan for one from an SC400. Now I just need to do the EGR delete and remove the stock exhaust manifolds, so I can sit the engine snug against the firewall, and begin making my engine mounts. Of course I need to have my tranny mounted to the engine first but yeah.

watty

The SC400 oil pan sits too far back for me. It would hit the crossmember. I can deal with the swaybar more easily than hacking up the crossmember. I don't have the liberty to move the engine around front to back because I am keeping the Nissan tranny in stock location. It's one of the parts of this project that make it relatively cheap. No new tranny bracket or driveshaft.

Watty

300gte

Did you make the tranny adapter? Also how did you remove the two inner nuts on the bottom of the exhaust manifolds? I was trying to remove the exhaust manny and cant get to these because of the heat shield. Sorry to clutter your thread, is the a private message feature on this site?
Modified by 300gte at 10:59 AM 8/21/2007

watty

Yes, I made the adapter with the help of a friend at M-Works Group. We loaded up the drawing and cut it on the CnC plasma cutter. Then, machined the rest on the milling machine with a roughing end mill. I made custom studs and machined the bolts to fit flush. I'm going over there today to get the engine mounts cut. I'll have them fabbed up by tomorrow evening. Then the exhaust manifolds get some serious attention. It's starting to come together.

Watty

300gte

wattydchi wrote:Yes, I made the adapter with the help of a friend at M-Works Group. We loaded up the drawing and cut it on the CnC plasma cutter. Then, machined the rest on the milling machine with a roughing end mill. I made custom studs and machined the bolts to fit flush. I'm going over there today to get the engine mounts cut. I'll have them fabbed up by tomorrow evening. Then the exhaust manifolds get some serious attention. It's starting to come together.

Watty
Nice work. Staying NA or is this a future FI project.

watty

Thanks.

Staying N/A for the moment. I've got to balance the cost and reliability of n/a upgrades vs. turbo/supercharger. I also want to see how the car handles the power curve. I have no desire to make it worthless as a street car. I just want something that is balanced with good power.

Watty

G-Wagon
Car: 96 240sx

lookin good lookin good

sancosys

Don't cram it FRAME it. Thats all I got.

Aaron

bball212000
Car: 95 s14

watty i cannot wait to see this s14 driving around town, tell keith i said hey if you see him

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watty

Hey guys, sorry for the late response. I have quite literally been killing myself in the garage for the last two weeks trying to get this thing in the car and running for NOPI. It sadly didn't make it. I got down to about an hour and a half before we were supposed to leave on Friday for Atlanta and had to call it quits. I was sick and running on 3 hours of sleep. I will be putting up some more pics and information this week now that I'm not rushing anymore to get it done by a certain date.

Here is a teaser pic:

There are more of the install and mounts. I will get around to putting all of this together. Now I've got to get the Megasquirt to play nice with everything else. Also, the engine bay has not been cleaned up and the throttle body is going to go through either a major shave down or replacement. We'll see.
bball212000 wrote:watty i cannot wait to see this s14 driving around town, tell keith i said hey if you see him
I should see him some time in the next week. I'll tell him you say hi.

Thanks for the interest,Watty

bball212000
Car: 95 s14

it looks great sorry you didnt finish it for nopi

watty

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! It is running and moved under its own power last night. Granted, I only moved it back and forth in the garage. I have a heater line hose that has a hole in it. So that is next on the list. I have to adjust the timing and then it's time for street tuning. YAY!!!!!! The clutch has ended up very SHORT. It's not undrivable, but I should have quick reaction times at the track.

I know I haven't posted up more details yet, but I've been more concerned with getting it running. It feels as though a huge weight has been lifted off of me. Time for a relaxing night of beer to clear my head. It is bad when you have dreams about fuel maps and enrichment tables.

More to come,Watty

j-z
Car: 95 240sx

shlt.... ive been thinking of a way to adapt a ka tranny to my 302. like you said it would be cheaper and easier. no making tranny mount, no custom driveshaft = 300 or so, plus stock shifter location.

would you mind giving me some more info on how you got the ka tranny to adapt to the 1uzfe. like a complete tutorial of just how you did that. it might spark some ideas in my head. i know it would involve more maching like getting the input shaft to go into the 302 crank. it would also save me from having to make a custom slave setup on the t5 tranny as well as theyre all cable tranny (blah).

please post up any advice you could give me and ill brainstorm a lil bit and try to come up with the best way to do it. not only that but i could do a write up for peeps wanting to go 302. ka trannys are way cheaper and easier to find than t5s (atleast around here) **** i could prob get one for free lol. another question, im not worried about the reverse switch on the tranny if i went ka, but what about the other sensors on the tranny?

i no longer have my FSM from my s14 so i just cant flip through the book and find out what they are. can you tell me what they are and if it will matter if i dont run any of them? im going to be using the stock 87 302 ecu for the motor. if i can get by without having anything hooked up to the tranny which i think i can since the 302 is so old and wont have any dependence on the ecu whatsoever. i will be running a aftermarket speedo and tach in the stock cluster location just to clear things up. thanks for any info. i just need a tranny to get this ***** on the road.

btw, will that stock rad keep that 1uzfe cool??? how many CIs is the 1u? i like the idea alot of using the stock ka tranny and adapting that bltch.

watty

Here is an email I sent yesterday. It should help with most things.

"Hello,

I am more than happy to help you out with this. The adapter plate is actually pretty simple. It is a 3/8" thick piece of mild steel. I happened to use a plasma cutter, but any way you can get it cut will work. I used thick paper to make a template by placing the flywheel on it and cutting an oversized hole. Then I mounted the flywheel and made a rubbing of the holes in the block. Next we drilled out those holes and the center section from the plate. You will need to countersink the holes for the bolts to the block. After that is done, you bolt the plate to the block. You will have to grind the starter bolts a little to make clearance for the plate to be flush.

Next, you need to make a bushing that is the size of the inner bore of the crank and the outer bore of a factory Nissan pilot bushing. We turned down a piece of stainless rod that was laying around. After that is tapped into place, you can mount the clutch and flywheel.

The flywheel does need to have the holes milled outwards radially about 10 to 15mm. I don't remember off the top of my head the exact measurements.

Once the clutch and flywheel are mounted, you can slide the tranny into position. This is not the easiest thing to do the first time. Once it all lines up, you just use something to go through the holes in the tranny and make marks. We used a drill bit with some tape on it so it fit the hole centered. Drill and tap these marks. You can use automotive studs or cut up a piece of all-thread to make your own. Now your transmission and motor can be mounted together.

As for motor mounts, I have some pictures that will explain way more than I can in words, but they are VERY easy to make. And if you want to move the motor back, I think you can bolt it straight to the crossmember. Not 100% on that though.

That should be a start and something to think about. Also, you will have to remake part of one the headers. It depends on whether or not your car is left or right hand drive. The fabrication isn't that bad, but you will need access to a few tools that can be hard to come by like a lathe and mill.

Thanks,Watty"

As far as the radiator goes, I bought a 3" aluminum from a guy on here, but it was about an inch too tall. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the s14 and s14a. Either that or I got an s13 version.

Watty

j-z
Car: 95 240sx

thanks alot man... i just scored a ka tranny tonight for 50 bones so once i get it ill see what youre talking about. but if you happen to have progress pics that would be great!

watty

More Pics:

Engine Mounts:

Tranny Adapter:

Hope that helps some of you.

Also, you can check out: http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q260/wattydchi/There are more pics here.

Here I go back to the garage. Damn alternator isn't wired correctly; so I'm getting no charging! This is a stupid problem to have. I can make and swap everything else, but it is one of the basic car parts holding me up. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Watty

digzsublime
Car: 95 S14 w/ LS1.

Damn Watty!! Looking good. I can not wait for you to get this thing completed. I'm interested to see what the power output is gonna be after it's tuned.

The motor just looks so happy in there. Good Job.

This is definitely giving me something to think about before I start building the coupe. Ooooo. If I change my mind on motors again.....Uuuuggghh. You have to tell me that this swap is slow and drives like crap!!

Fla240sx

holy horrible spot for a starter batman!

I like how the engine sits back a lot from the radiator

never been a fan of these engines but I'm sure that thing gets moving decently!

ShootToKill
Car: S13

nice looks good, how much have you spent on this. i am going to be doing the same swap into a 95, but with a eaton m112 supercharger from a 03 cobra. and did you consider using a z32 trans. what are you doing about exhaust, are you still running the stock headers or are you going custom. these motors are amazing, they can give the 2j and RB a run for their money, more displacement, and about the same weight from what i have read. sick, can't wait! i think once complete you should make this a step by step write up.

Return to “Hybrids”