1st Gen Alty Info

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
Simmsled
Car: TSI GTI - E46 325i

I have a 1st gen (93 GXE auto). Couldn't help the auto part... the price was right. Here is some interesting information on the 1st gens.

Audio system Info

first gen w/o factory CD

reciever depth: 7.5 inchesfront spkr local: front doorfront spkr size: 5 x 7 inchesfront spkr depth: 2.5 inchesrear spkr local: rear deckrear spkr size: 6.75 inchesrear spkr depth: 12 inches

First gen with factory CD has rear 6x9's

I have modded the front 5x7's to fit 6.5's. It can be done rather easily.

KA24DE engine produces about 122 hp at the wheels.

205/60/15 is the factory tire size.

I have 225/40/18's 7.5 inch rim on my alty with no rubbing. I also have my car lowered with Intrax lowering springs (1.75 drop)

more to come... off to class (I go to Purdue)

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

So, what's the biggest set of subs you can put in an Altima? Hehe...

Good to see some action here. Let's get more Altima people over here from that other site! It's soooooo played out...

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

You ever get your wheel fixed? Its always good to pull up the the ranch and see your Alty sittin there.

Simmsled

Well, no the wheel isn't fixed yet. I am in limbo right now. Kinda need to figure out my oil leak goblin. There was a bunch of oil under my car when I left for Purdue, yet my dip stick read full oil. I'm confused. I can still pull about 75 on that offramp (I-65 exit 168 northbound) with my 205/60-15 Hoosier Radials.

Cold_Zero

If it were nice out, your brother and I could help you locate the leak. Just dont run your oil low like your younger brother did!

Simmsled

the KA24DE in the Altimas have a front timing chain cover seal that is really hard to get to. That is what is leaking. I have already replaced the lower and upper oil pan gasket along with the valve cover gasket. I can't believe how smooth my engine runs at 212,000 miles. Once I get that last gasket replaced, the sky is the limit. Andy, see if you can find out what we could do about having that front seal gasket replaced at Family Auto. I have the OK to have it fixed.

Repo Man

Cool. I'll have to have it looked at and get an estimate, but I know they can do it.

UncleBen
Car: '05 G35 Sedan Sport, '98 240sx LE auto, '95 240sx SE auto,

hey simmsled, have any of these morons (:pface)told you about the march 8th meet? you're not to far away. its in Bowling Green, KY. u should try to make it. we have alot of people comin, from alota diff. states

Simmsled

I would love to come. I have to make sure that I dont have a track meet. I run track for Purdue University. I'll look into it.

Cold_Zero

Ben,I am sure that Repoman has told Sim all about the NICO meet on the 8th. They are related.

Sim,I spoke with a guy in my complex the other day about some recent break ins to our cars. It appears that the guy is an Eclipse dealer for the region. He has lost about 10k worth of equipment from his VW Jetta. The theives even waited two weeks to hit his car after the most recent attack. He says he can get met some products at cost. Is Eclipse a good brand? How do they compare to Alpine?Bud

Simmsled

Just wanted to add that I found out how to tell if an Altima (1st Gen) has limited slip from the factory. If the tranny code ends in V then it has it.

Bud... I sold Eclipse and Alpine at Soundpro. I like Eclipse subs a lot. I have Eclipse Aluminum subwoofers. They play very low and some play in very small boxes. Alpine subs are good, but lack spl. Go with Eclipse subs. Their highs and mids are very Boston Acoustic-like, however they require a lot of power to do them justice. Alpine highs and mids are good all around performers for low to medium power applications. If you have the power... you will love the Eclipse highs. Eclipse cd players are a pain in the ***. Stay away. I did'nt always feel that way, but in 2000 and 2001 they had a bad line of cd players that would skip easily and then the laser would go out. Their cd players used to have a really good reputation as Eclipse was the first company to come out with a high-voltage, low impedance preouts. Alpine is good all around with their cd players stay with Alpine cd players. As far as amps go... Eclipse has 2 lines of amps... the cheaper line of amps are very very clean, however they lack in power. The more expensive line of amps have WONDERFUL imaging when combined with good speakers. I suggest these for highs and mids. Alpine amps are solid. I would recommend them for subwoofer applications only as they make highs and mids sound rather cold in presentation. Hope that helps. DONT FORGET TO DYNAMAT!!!!!!!!!!! never ever neglect this advice!!! If it came down to buying cheaper equipment just to afford the Dynamat (or Brown Bread... another sound deadening material supplier) then I would do that. 80% of a great system is the install. The rest is getting good equipment that works well together and provides the sound that you are looking for.

Repo Man

Werd. So, you're saying install is important? Huh, I never made the connection! LOL.

Are you coming to the BG meet to show off your custom install?

helix031

cool specs. i got a pic of my ride at altimas.net ... i had 2 12's and a panasonic HU. i tried to fit my friends L7 15 in there and it wouldnt fit. soo i guess it all depends on the box u can fit anything in any car with the right custom work tho... 2 15s in the right sized box would fit.

Simmsled

During my install upbringing (or experimentation) I fit 2 18 inch Kicker Competition subwoofers in 2, 3 cubic foot boxes. It played low, but it was not for me. I also had 2, 15 inch Soundstream SPL subwoofers in there once. It was really loud, however it lacked the refinement I was looking for. I then went to 3 Eclipse Aluminum 12's and it was just right. I am now running 2 of them as I decided to design my trunk with functional storage space. It took forever to build up these boxes and have them fit the way that I wanted them to, but it was worth it. I am 95% done with the trunk. I will post some pics when I get a chance. And I would love to go to the meet to show off the install. I will have to wait and see if I can go.

Simmsled

Bud... what were you thinking about getting from the Eclipse rep? Does he work for Current Sales? They used to be the rep for Eclipse around here though I don't think that they still are.

Cold_Zero

Right now I have put a hold on my audio buying for now. I can’t decide what to do with the WRX as far as the sound system. I have heard that the WRX has problems installing aftermarket door speakers because of depth issues. Kristin would kill me if I put a *thumping* system in the Altima. I could install some video equipment for the longer trips we take in the Altima. Maybe even put the PS2 in there?

Simmsled

that would be cool, we would have to power your speakers with an amp and have a toggle switch for your car audio/ps2 audio source. That would be cool for long trips. You could play gran-turismo 3 forever while kristin drives. This would only work if you dont have the BOSE system. If you dont have it then the sky is the limit. BOSE systems are a pain to add to without a little device (adaptor) from Soundgate and even then it never sounds quite right. So no BOSE for aftermarket integration. Ya put in too much to get too little. So I hope you dont have it, otherwise we would have to do the entire system from scratch ($$$).

Simmsled

I now have the complete Nissan audio wiring diagrams for the 3rd Gen Altimas. With Bose and without Bose.

Cold_Zero

I dont think I have the Bose System. The speakers just say SDDS or something.

Cold_Zero

Simmsled wrote:Bud... what were you thinking about getting from the Eclipse rep? Does he work for Current Sales? They used to be the rep for Eclipse around here though I don't think that they still are.

The guy works for Admiral Sales.

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

where is this march 8th meet i keep hearing so much about at, jus wondering, my car is stock as hell (o2 qr25de altima), but id like to see and get to know the other guys and cars that i now seem to be talking so much too, however i live in louisiana, so i doubt its gonna be anywhere near here, thanx in advance

OneFastStanza
Car: '02 SE-R Spec V, '92 Stanza, '97 Maxima, '04 Vue Redline. '04 F250

The meet on the 8th is in Bowling Green, KY. We would love to have you up here but it prolly would be a bit of a drive.

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

Cold_Zero wrote:I dont think I have the Bose System. The speakers just say SDDS or something.
haha, i dont have the bose system either, it comes with NDSS in it, sounds good for a couple of 6x9s, tweeters are nice too, i wnat to put jus 2 10s in my trunk, i dont want to go overboard, i looked at LCDs today, and i like one that cost 2grand, i think its kinda steep, considering im short on money right now, but i hope to eventually get one, and put my ps2 in there as wel

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”