1st Gen Altima w/ no interior electrical power

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
bumpinalta
Car: 1996 Nissan Altima

OK This is an intermittent problem.
Loss of electrical power to ALL interior accessories. (Brief summation of what doesn't work; instrument cluster, interior lights, dome light, power windows/ locks, radio, fan blower.) This is a complete electrical power loss because I lose radio presets when power returns.
Headlights do work, I haven't checked brake lights yet, turn signals don't work.

Car does start and runs fine, tach and speedo dont work.

I assume this is not a fuse because it is intermittent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to have to fix soon, it sucks driving in the cold without a heater, however, I am not excited about trying to chase this problem down in 10 degree weather either.
Thanks.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

That sounds rough.
You might want to check the fuses just in case one has some corrosion in the socket or on the fuse itself. Its certainly the easiest thing to check.
The only other thing I can think of is if the main power or ground wire is broken and has an intermittent connection.
Maybe poke through the FSM to see if you can find anything.
www.nicoclub.com/fsm

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

Try tightening the main fusible link on the driver side in the fuse box near the battery. This fuse can take out your power windows, turn signals radio and even prevent you from starting the engine. It's a small blue module with a window on top.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”