1st drag experience with slicks...??

Blast down the 1320? Love the 1/8 mile action? Here's your forum.
meet07
Car: 89 180sx rb25det

I have a rb25 with basic bolt ons running 12-14psi on a set of mt 26x15x8.5. After about 5 passes I realized that after a burnout, I didnt have enough time to preload the tranny,hold the revs and pay attention to the lite so the 1st few times where garbage.

I decided to just try dumping the clucth...no preloading. Well that worked out great, but she still seems to bog down for a split second(I think this bogg happens when she squats). Out of about 7 runs I could only manage a 12.7

My 60ft times where consistent in the 1.7's and reaction times where consistent around .2**

My suspension setup was ksport/kyb gr2's in the front and stock in the back. The mt's had 14 psi in them.

At the end of the nite I was wishing that I had something that would hold the revs like a launch controller. I had one on my integra and I loved it. Im thinking that I need anti-lag b/c im dumping the clutch at 6 grand and she still wants to bogg. Maybe if I was leaving the hole in boost she would squat' and keep pulling instead of pausing. Every ones input will be appreciated

rb25drag
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX 5.3 Chevy + 60mm turbo + blow threw carb.

Well sounds like you got some experiencce under your belt with the new car. ALso sounds like The suspension was doing its job. hooking and bogging is a good thing. you can improve that. Also do not ever Rush the starting line. The track will wait on you to get 100% ready. Otherwise you can break parts or end up into the wall if ur not careful.ALso ur pushing ur luck with 6k launches. I broke 2 sets of axles launching at 6200-6400. I found mine to leave best at 5500. Now the Trick is to getthe slicks to rotate 2-4 revolutions Before it bites 100%, This gives you time to get the turbo spooled up, Also it will not bog but yet bite and go on.Now if I was you. I would of raised the tire pressure to 15psi, seen if it still bogged. If it did. go up until it does get the 2-4 tire revolutions before it bites hard.1.7 60's are pretty good. SO you was doing good launches for ur setup.As for the 2step. I say yes. That is a night and day difference at the track. But when you get one. The setupp will change. more than likely you will spin off the line under boost. But you can adjust the tire pressure to hook more.Keep playing man. Your on the right track.

meet07

It took you long enough to post rb25drag...lol j/k I dont know why I didnt think of uping the tire pressure....durrrrrr

But thats kinda what I wanted was to spin coming out of the hole but still maintaining the 1.7

If I do purchase the rush racing anti-lag then im sure ill have to lower the tire pressure to about 12 or so. I was able to get only one video which I will post up in a day or 2 but that was the run of me poping off a intercooler pipe racing a ford lightning...lol

At the end of the day I was happy that i dipped into the 12's but my driving experienced made me look amature...

Ill also post my time slip so we can figure out what kind of mph/times i should be running.

thanks

rb25drag

lol, Sorry, sometimes it takes me a min to get on.When i had the 2step on mine. I ran an average of 1.67 60's 5.400 330ft and 8.0-8.10 1/8th mile@87mphI have never ran 1/4mile. There iss not a track near me. There all 1/8th mileThats stock turbo setup

meet07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPUnznH0_Y8

I think im getting anti lag and making one more trip to the track before the year is out....

meet07

R/T .28460' 1.7471/8 8.193MPH 84.471/4 12.788MPH 106.27

meet07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkojwDbOssQ

Tell me what you see wrong with this launch?? I have lowering springs in the front and stockers in the back...

-should i run stock suspension all the way around or lowering springs??-do i need to preload the trans to eliminate the bounce??-or keep everything the same,order the anti-lag and preload the trans and go for it again?

rb25drag

Looks like your car transfers weight pretty good. It just you don't have enough tq to pull threw the bog off the line. A 2 step will def help you out on that issue

I would leave the suspension alone for now. Its not your biggest issue.

The fron't lowering springs are good, Im running Tein lowering springs all the way around mt setup. But I had to modify the back springs cause mine still setup too high in the rear and I coudn't get any weight to transfer.

Here is my best run to date. Stock turbo, 2step, BFG Drag radials on Stock rear suspension and Loweing Springs in the FrontWent 1.67 60ft and 8.06@87mph 1/8th mile

Notice how it don''t bog, Your mph is a little low on top end also.

and here is my run 3 weeks ago. 1st time back at the track since I went propane fuel and The bigger 60-1 precision turbo.

Notice how it bogs and don't pick up any power till around the 330ft. I have no 2step to spool the turbo and it will not launch.

I went 2.4 60ft and 8.54@90mph

I need my 2step hooked up to get the new setup to launch.

Hope this helps

meet07

im running a j30 diff so im not sure if that's the cause of my low mph but im ordering my launch controller next week.

Sil80315
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Have you ever tried riding your clutch out? From the videos it looks like your dumping the clutch.

Riding the clutch is probably (in my opinion) the most important factors to learn when drag racing cars that have good tires but low HP. This also goes the same for cars with anti lag. Also saves on drive train

your 60ft is pretty good. I would just practice on lunching the car by riding the clutch out just a tad off the line just to get the car rolling instead of jerking the drive train

meet07

I have never tryed riding the clucth....I would think that would cut down the 60ft time.

Sil80315

meet07 wrote:I have never tryed riding the clucth....I would think that would cut down the 60ft time.

Yes and no. you'll have try it out. Im not talking about riding it through first gear but just ride it long enough to get out of the hole

rb25drag

I would not slip the clutch at all! I have tried it and it made my 60's worse by nearly a full second. The best setup is to be able to drop the clutch and get the tires to rotate 2-3 revolutions at a controlled spin and then it hooking. This is all adjusted with the tire pressure and the burnout you do. With the right combo you will have the best 60ft.

meet07

a
rb25drag wrote:I would not slip the clutch at all! I have tried it and it made my 60's worse by nearly a full second. The best setup is to be able to drop the clutch and get the tires to rotate 2-3 revolutions at a controlled spin and then it hooking. This is all adjusted with the tire pressure and the burnout you do. With the right combo you will have the best 60ft.
agreed

Sil80315

rb25drag wrote:I would not slip the clutch at all! I have tried it and it made my 60's worse by nearly a full second. The best setup is to be able to drop the clutch and get the tires to rotate 2-3 revolutions at a controlled spin and then it hooking. This is all adjusted with the tire pressure and the burnout you do. With the right combo you will have the best 60ft.
The reason I said for him to try riding the clutch is because from his video he bogs. So yeah him dropping the clutch out of the hole is getting him out of boost (again this comming from what I seen in the video)

Some cars depending on power and tire set up's need to ride the clutch. Our talon ran a 11.4 with a 1.6ft only by riding the clutch out of the hole with 2 step other wise the tires would just spin and your trap sucked.

Comming spring I will be trying to find the right set up for a 400whp sr to come out of the whole with a good 60ft, Thanks to rb25drag for the rim and tire info I emailed him about

jc0526

Then you are doing it wrong or you have a weak clutch. You want ZERO tire spin. You need to learn how to make your clutch act like a torque converter.

From the first vide the driver is clearly just dumping the clutch and does not have the power to pull through the launch.

rb25drag

jc0526 wrote:
Then you are doing it wrong or you have a weak clutch. You want ZERO tire spin. You need to learn how to make your clutch act like a torque converter.

From the first vide the driver is clearly just dumping the clutch and does not have the power to pull through the launch.
I have a 1500$ Cusco exedy, Stg 4 clutch, rated for 800hp, My car makes 400-420 @ the wheels according to the temps/elevation, I have pulled anywere from 1.6-1.7 60's by dropping the clutch with the correct tire pressure. Everytime i have (rode) the clutch, i have yet to get better than a 2.2 60FT.

ZERO tire Spin = Broke parts!! I have Broke way more parts then you have im sure racing! If you do not get a little spin, You will stress out ur drivetrain. The weakest Link will always Break, Then you get into alot of $$$ For no extra ET:

You should watch more Professional racers, You will see that ALL of them have controlled tire spin.

So I know what is Required for a good launch at the track, I agree that his car lacked of power to pull threw the BOGG But he could of EASILY fixed the bogg by changing his tire pressure. If he RIDES his clutch all he is going to do is burn the clutch up, its going to Heat up extremely hot from the launch and the Pressure plate is going to become weak. all that is going to solve is a Headache in changing a new clutch in the future.
Modified by rb25drag at 8:43 PM 1/9/2010

meet07

rb25drag wrote:
I have a 1500$ Cusco exedy, Stg 4 clutch, rated for 800hp, My car makes 400-420 @ the wheels according to the temps/elevation, I have pulled anywere from 1.6-1.7 60's by dropping the clutch with the correct tire pressure. Everytime i have (rode) the clutch, i have yet to get better than a 2.2 60FT.

ZERO tire Spin = Broke parts!! I have Broke way more parts then you have im sure racing! If you do not get a little spin, You will stress out ur drivetrain. The weakest Link will always Break, Then you get into alot of $$$ For no extra ET:

You should watch more Professional racers, You will see that ALL of them have controlled tire spin.

So I know what is Required for a good launch at the track, I agree that his car lacked of power to pull threw the BOGG But he could of EASILY fixed the bogg by changing his tire pressure. If he RIDES his clutch all he is going to do is burn the clutch up, its going to Heat up extremely hot from the launch and the Pressure plate is going to become weak. all that is going to solve is a Headache in changing a new clutch in the future. Modified by rb25drag at 8:43 PM 1/9/2010
Agreed!! Spin equals less stress on the drivetrain. I just need a anti lag. If i had that everything would have been good. If i dont get it this coming season then ill probably up the tire pressure. Great thread

meet07

UPDATE!!! I installed my rush racing anti lag and took her tot he local 1/8 mile track. I cut a best of 8.1 with a 1.7 60ft.... Swapping out the rear suspension with cut factory coils.

Return to “Nissan Drag Racing Forum”