1999 Nissan Sentra Odd Starting Problems

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
JColee
Car: 1999 Nissan Sentra GXE Auto

New to this forum, but I've had a handful of Nissan's and have never experienced this before.

About a month ago, my mother drover her 1999 Nissan Sentra GXE to work, upon trying to leave work that evening, the car was having problems starting. My brother and mother managed to get it to run and thought it was just a bit of a flub, and drove the car to a nearby restaurant for dinner. At the restaurant, the car wouldn't start after parking it and turning off. My brother towed it home.

Me, being the family mechanic, but now living about an hour and a half away, tried to diagnose it over the phone and instruct my brother on how to deal with it.

Symptoms Before I looked at it:
Car Wouldn't Start
Lights wouldn't turn on
Dash lights flash, while hearing a clicking noise (CEL, Brake, Battery) all of them flash to the rhythm of a click from under the dash.
Pressing on the brake sometimes stops the flashing
Under the hood, the purge solenoid will run and run and run and click after the door is open, will sometimes turn off

So far we have replaced the battery, replaced the ground from the battery to the bell housing (starter bolt), replaced the starter, replaced the Alternator recently as well, checked all fuses.

After replacing the starter yesterday, I managed to get the car to start, but it wouldn't stay running, and would peter out and die. I've uploaded a video of this. I couldn't keep it running with the accelerator pedal, it only started starting after I had tried to start it in Neutral (then it would start in any gear). After the car died once, the Inhibitor relay under the hood was clicking. Also, one of the times, a goldish-brown relay under the dash near the drivers left foot area, clicked a bunch.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DHgT62PvLsq2wFDT2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UZsZoTG4SPp3Aupn1

I really want to help my mom, and the car has been amazing the last four years. It's the newest car she's owned, and I gave it to her once I was finished driving it for college. I'm pretty handy and can handle most repairs myself. To me its beginning to sound more like a major electrical problem, but i hope someone has dealt with it before.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Welcome to NICO Club! Can you get your hands on an OBD-II scanner? You want to check the car's computer for codes, especially when you think you have electrical problems. I think they're even free or cheap to use or borrow from many local auto parts stores. We do have the FSM available, so you can look in there for diagnoses and troubleshooting. These are all the chapters, the FWD link is the forward chapter and will have a table of contents.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Sentra/1999_Sentra_GA/

JColee

Thanks a bunch centralcoaster33, I've got a bluetooth dongle that can connect with an android OS, in conjunction with the torque app. I'm going to be using it next weekend when I head back to my mothers house. My brother is currently there though, and right now we are attempting to reset the security system or "unlock" it, to see if that is the problem.

I've never experienced any of these problems before.

centralcoaster33

Yeah, look into security system stuff. That clicking could just be an alarm relay thing. You could even find the clicking if you pop the hood and listen to the fuse box, maybe even feel it clicking if you touch the right one.

Here's a thread for a similar issue that you could try the key and lock routine from or you could try to unplug the security box (not sure which it is, maybe look to see what you have):
can-t-start-and-the-alarm-is-activated- ... 49200.html

Another one to try and it's worked for me on different car makes, unlock drivers door, pop hood, unplug battery , put key in and turn to on, plug in positive, then negative battery, turn key to off and take out. Lock and close all doors, open drivers door, try to start car.

Good luck!

JColee

My brother and mother have tried all of these to no avail. I have yet to connect an OBDII scanner to it, but someone my mother knows is thinking that it may be the cam position sensor.

From my research, everything says that the cam position sensor is within the distributor. Is this sensor replaceable or would you have to purchased and install a whole new distributor?

Thanks
-Jake

centralcoaster33

A cam sensor issue will throw a code and turn on the Check Engine light. You want to verify that code before buying a replacement part. If it were the CMPS, then you'd get code P0340. Per FSM chapter EC, page 261, the sensor is part of the distributor assembly. So, yeah, a new distributor. But, the diagnoses includes getting the code from the ECU, checking harness connectors (your wiring), checking the sensor, checking the starter and a weak or dead battery. So, a few loose ends to clear up before spending $ on a part that may or may not solve the issue. If it does come down to the distributor needing a replacement, you may be able to get one from a pick and pull salvage yard.

JColee

Thanks, while tackling the problem, we've already replaced the battery, the starter, and the alternator is maybe 3 years old. I'll be going up to her home on Thursday to connect an OBDII scanner and pull the codes. I'll also check the wiring on the ECU.

JColee

We managed to get a new ECU for the Nissan and its still a no go. My brother says that the dash lights are now blinking as is the dome light. The car is great, and my mother doesnt really have the money for a new one, so if anyone has any idea on how we should go about troubleshooting or if these symptoms are familiar.

We're thinking about swapping out the distributor and possibly the ignition switch. Would the car still turn over if either of these were faulty?

centralcoaster33

Sorry, I read this and thought I replied, but maybe it didn't stick. to the best of my knowledge, your car could run with a partially faulty ignition switch (easy enough to diagnose with a voltmeter) and could possibly run like crap with a partially faulty distributor. But those are usually completely faulty and then the car doesn't run at all.

JColee

Well... my mother ended up taking the car somewhere. It ended up being a loose ground on the back of the alternator. :facepalm:

Man, i wish i would have had more access to the car. Im kind of embarrassed. I was thinking it was something so much larger than that.

Thanks for all of the help!

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”