1999 Infiniti G20 - Drive Train Noise? Help!

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
JCL54
Car: 1999 Infiniti G20

1999 Infiniti G20. 145,000 miles. Auto trans. This problem just started recently. As you accelerate a humming noise increases in pitch throughout acceleration. It sounds like when you pass a large 4WD truck with monster tread tires...that whirring, humming sound. It does not happen while in neutral while stationary and revving the engine, so I know it's not an engine bearing - only while on the road while moving. But it does happen while coasting in neutral at speed. The trans shifts perfectly so I don't think it's involved and the tire pressure is correct ,so I put it up on blocks and got underneath. It appears to be coming from down near the transmission/differential or axles. But this car had both axles replaced less than a year ago. Originally, I thought it might be the wheel bearings. But when I lifted the car and wiggled the wheels, I found no play and the noise seemed to be coming from farther in than at the area where the wheel bearings would be. It was there even while spinning the wheels freely by hand while on the lift. This car has a differential bearing and wonder about that or maybe it is the wheel bearings and I just didn't hear the location correctly. Or maybe the axles were done wrong...or something else? Can anybody help me identify this problem? Thanks! - JL

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO!

I would suspect something internal to the transaxle, but without hearing it, it's hard to say. I assume the transmission fluid is fresh and filled to the correct level? If you don't have the factory service manual, you can download it at http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Perhaps there will be some troubleshooting steps in there?

Heath

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”