1999 altima egr and carbon

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
Toolfan
Car: 1999 Nissan Altima GXE

Hi all. I have a 1999 altima. Some time back had a code for the egr and i cleaned it or tried to. Later i replaced it and then had a misfire code. I replaced the plug(s), wire(s),injector and used old egr. I replaced the whole distib bc it was leaking and had a shop look at it. He said it has carbon bad in the intake. The light is coming on almost every 2 days now for the egr. What is the best way i can try clean it? Used carb cleaner, wire brushes that was able to get in there and a coat hanger. Want to use Seafoam in the vac line or throttle body and have used it in the gas for a month straight. What should i do? Plan to talk to another shop when i can. thanks

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Warm the car fully, have an assistant hold the RPM's at 3500~4000, put a teaspoon or two of ATF (any sort) down the brake booster hose. Have spark plugs on hand in case a big chunk of carbon flies off and crushes the electrode on a plug (rare, but with very thick carbon it can happen).

Return to “Altima General Discussions”