1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder Strut Bearings

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Scrotch
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Hi, I just purchased a new pair of Quick Struts, All in one assembled. I noticed that the Top Bearing Plate is very hard to turn even while using wooden dowel to turn. I have seen others that the top plate turns with little effort when turned by hand. How tight should the bearing be? These are not installed yet but concerned about how the steering will work being so hard to turn. I realize that once mounted there will be more force applied but without removing my existing struts I will not be able to compare. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

You're not exerting enough force by hand - they should be snug.

Same as compressing a coil spring by hand - not happening. :)

Scrotch

Thanks for your reply. Will know tomorrow. Darn Pot holes.

MisterH
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

Scrotch wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:36 pm
Hi, I just purchased a new pair of Quick Struts, All in one assembled. I noticed that the Top Bearing Plate is very hard to turn even while using wooden dowel to turn. I have seen others that the top plate turns with little effort when turned by hand. How tight should the bearing be? These are not installed yet but concerned about how the steering will work being so hard to turn. I realize that once mounted there will be more force applied but without removing my existing struts I will not be able to compare. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
I'm due for strut replacement but I'm weighing whether to go the easy route with Quick Struts like you or rebuild the factory units with KYB parts. KYB doesn't make complete replacement assemblies for QX/PF models and I'm curious about the ride quality of the pre-assembled units. After you get them installed It would be great if you could let us know which brand you purchased and report back here with your impressions of the ride quality. Thanks!

A1218
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I actually did my struts, coils, and shocks this past weekend. I got new kyb struts, ACDelco coils, new rubber seats, new kyb mounts, kyb bolt and bellow, and some insulators I got from Amazon worked.

I actually used the new kyb bearing on the struts and it was super hard to turn and I mean you had to work to turn it with a large screwdriver. I installed back and I was getting binding when turning. The body of the strut was turning before the top hat with the spring as it was so tight.

So I pulled them back out and put on the old Nissan bearings for now and ordered a new set from Nissan that will be coming soon.

I also put in a new ACDelco rack and pinion after I finished the coils.

Scrotch

Did both mine today and CV axle. The Bearings were very stiff off the vehicle but once mounted and body weight back on wheels worked fine. Easy quiet turning and steering returnabilty was great. Just used Monroe quick struts. Hit a pot hole a couple of weeks ago. Broke the Strut rod in half and ripped CV axle shaft out of joint. Oh Joy but actually lucky that there was no other damage. Moog end link and tie rods survived. Long day but drivable again. Broke ABS sensor wire so new/used sensor yet to do. Had my first call back to work next week so happy that I don't have to get a rental. Making appointment for alignment and will see what I get to work on next. Thanks for your response.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”