1998 Quest - Engine is not starting

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
tmathew
Car: 1998 Nissan Quest XE

I just got a 1998 Nissan Quest. When I tried to start the engine, it doesn't. I panel lights turn on but I do not hear any cranking sounds. the check sign is also being turned on. Wondering what's the issue? Any help is really appreciated.

Razi
Car: Moo

Has the car been sitting long?
Battery could be bad and drained empty.

Check everything that has to do with starting the engine, beginning with the battery, starter motor, and then continuing onto the injectors and ignition.

tmathew

The car wasn't sitting idle. I used it a couple of days ago and it worked fine.

I tried to jump start car yesterday, but it didn't work. But I don't think it's a battery problem since panel lights turn on Ok, the remote works normal and the headlight works perfect.

Since I recently got it from a person, I asked the person whether he is aware of anything and he suggested I will need to ensure the car is in parked position which I checked and the gear indicator suggests it's in parked position.

Razi
Car: Moo

Do you hear the starter relay clicking when you try to start it?

tmathew

I don't hear any start clicking sound. What I hear is a little bit of humming sound which think might be coming from the speakers upon turning on the key. I tried to use a battery jump starter but it didn't help either. A mechanic stopped by this morning and he couldn't do anything either. He suggested towing to a repair shop.

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

did you check if the timing belt snapped?

the humming sound when you 1st turn the key to on is most likely the fuel pump priming ~ pressurizing the fuel lines to the fuel injectors, which is normal...

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

in very rare occasions, the intertia switch may have been triggered:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/refgh0v/ ... -Quest.pdf

click in case of emergency, scroll down to page 6-11

try re-setting that switch near the driver side parking brake pedal...

tmathew

I had to use towing service to get the car to a mechanic and the mechanic found the issue: It's related to a the alarm system that's installed last year. Somehow the unit was not sending power to the starter motor. The mechanic disabled the system and the car started working.

Thanks for all those responses though.

Return to “Quest Forum”