1998 Q45 and 2000 Q45 anniversary edition

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
CRIZZ
Car: 2000 Infiniti Q45
1998 Infiniti Q45T

Hello NICO world, my name is chris and im making this post to share with you my journey in restoring a 1998 Q45 and modifying a 2000 anniversary edition Q45. Along the way in this post or videos you might learn a thing or two about your own Q45 that you might not have known before. Granted this is a site filled with hundreds maybe thousands of techs/geniuses for the Q. But I'm hoping this post will grow to be the go to for any new or current Q45 owner. As well as to expand a little into the VH41DE engine as many may know or come to find out that it has much less known support for modifying or running standalone ECU's. My goal is to be able to capture all information about interchangeable parts, modifications, in house modifications (nice way of saying I'll do it myself), and any good reliable swaps. I hope many of our geniuses will pitch in with information as I have seen the Q45 pick up more interest over these past couple years. Will be updating/posting in this thread soon and maybe even upload a video on YouTube.

CRIZZ
1998 Infiniti Q45T

Here are some numbers for the Q45 y33.

The 1998 modle came with 16x7 +40mm  5x114.3 wheels.
Recommended tire size is 215/60R16 94V.
The 2000 model came with 17x7.5 +30mm 5x114.3
Recommended tire size is 225/50R17 93V

Knowing these stock wheel options and measuring the cars wheel well. I figured I could maybe fit a 18x8 +25mm with 225/50R18 99V.
This will keep the stock tire sidewall height and much stronger with modern tires but a much taller tire and deep dish look. ( I will post pictures later) but this size for front and rear fit perfect under the wheel well and not outside. Mind you this is for stock struts.
The handling is great but definitely needs aftermarket struts. Now many think new wheels and tires might make cars handle better but with a heavy car with the Q and bad strut design we MUST upgrade all struts if you want a sportier feel out of the Q. After all the Q was a luxury car.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

CRIZZ wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:51 am
The 1998 modle came with 16x7 +40mm  5x114.3 wheels.
Recommended tire size is 215/60R16 94V.
Suggest anyone running the original 16s on a my97 or 98 go with 225/55/16 tires. More options, more contact area (depending on actual tread design), better load rating at typically 96V.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

CRiZZ:

Welcome to Nico!!
We look forward to what you have to tell us. :yesnod

Also please do not forget pics!
(you can attach on the bottom of the "post box")

CRIZZ
1998 Infiniti Q45T

Let's talk suspension (Y33)

The Q45 is a heavy full size sedan. One of the main things about the Q45 that had alot of issues was the struts. To make matters worse, nowdays they are very hard to find oem or aftermarket replacement struts/shocks. As of 2021 only 2 major companies which are BC coilovers and Megan racing have made bolt on coilovers for the Q45. As far as interchangeable struts/shocks there are none. Well no direct bolt ons' but there are some with few modifications that come from the s13 and s14 platform. Keep In mind when installing new struts, shocks or coilovers it is always recomended to replace all rubber parts and bearings. When replacing front struts on a Y33 you will always, most certainly need to replace your wheel bearing, if you cannot get it off in one piece.

I hope other will pitch in and say what they are running.

OEM Replacement.

Front: Currently the only way to get a retail on some new oem front struts is through the dealership themselves. In NICOforums a couples years back they had good connections with a certain parts department at infiniti (if those connections still exist I hope a NICO member will shine light on that) But other than that we are all stuck at the mercy of a dealership and there inflated prices for parts. Last time I checked front left or right strut is $450+ plus tax and shipping.

Rear:   Good News! Gabriel shocks and struts makes a good (not perfect) oem feel shock for rear . They are starting currently at $40 through autozone and rockauto. I previously installed them on my 98 and the ride quality is pretty darn good. Can not feel a noticeable difference but not 100% sure on life expectancy. I will update you all after a year of use (date installed 5/2021).  OEM struts are going around the same price for the fronts ($400+) through a infiniti parts dealer.

Aftermarket Coilovers
     Currently for coilovers with spindles you're looking at 2 companies only. BC Racing and Megan Racing. Only two companies I've heard and seen people use on there Q's with realiable results and few posibly ''unwanted features''.

First thing first, if you love how the Q45 rides and feels, smooth and luxurious. Well coilovers will ruin that to S***. Coilovers will most usually always make stock suspension stiffer. Some may also experience remorse for buying a set of $1500+ coilovers becasue you realize after installing your new said coilovers. It feels like your car is gunna brake next time you pass a bump or hole in the road. Truth is, if your planning on buying a new set of coilovers make sure you're choosing your spring rate. If you are not given the option either call or look for a different website.

Spring Rate
      One major misconception is to think all coilovers are the same. Spring rate is key to bringing the best out of your new coilovers. Spring rates is sorta universal when it comes to specific car scenes in the car world. But for daily drivers or personal projects spring rate is very unique to one's own car. Spring rates should always go hand in hand with your veichles ''Sprung weight''

How do you measure sprung weight?
First 2 definitions.
1. Define sprung weight: Any amount of weight that is supported by a spring
2. Define unsprung weight: Any weight leading into an attachment at the bottom of a spring is unsprung weight

Knowing these two things we can rule out the wheels, tires, brakes, control arms, diffrential & axles for RWD, ect. when measuring sprung weight. In order to get perfect spring rates for your car, consider using weight-scale pads for all 4 wheels. This way youll be able to dial in that suspension. (you can weigh the car first and subtract the unsprung weight later) Other methods like weighing the entire car and ball parking the weigth ratio can get you close. Once you get your number(e.g. 550lbs front 425lbs rear) per individual spring you will have to add any more stifness you will want.(increase by 150 -250) depending on your car. A semi stiffer spring from stock will always improve your handling but decrease your ride quality . Sometimes you may need to convert your 'lbs spring rate' to a different unit depending on the manufacture of said coilovers.

Things to remember
Getting a very high spring rate will only benefit you if youre looking to save your suspension from rubbing, mashing or colliding with eachother. Carefully choosing your spring rate will let you unlock new potential of your car. Choosing a coilover manufacturer that lets you adjust dampaning will also unluck suspension tuning.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Any updates? :yesnod

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”