1998 Pathfinder electrical trouble

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Dan.NY
Car: Nssan Pathfinder

More and more often now I have to step on the brake pedal in order to start the engine. Up until recently, I never had to step on the brake to start the engine. Im not at all sure where to begin troubleshooting this. Any ideas?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Scratching my head too long over this one. There's only a stop lamp switch and ASCD cancel switch at the brake pedal arm but that should have nothing to do with this. An ABS issue is all I can think of. When you turn the ignition switch ON (not started) does the ABS warning light come on and then turn off like it should or does it stay on? Does it turn on at all? Does it stay on or turn on when you start the engine? Do you have a manual or automatic transmission?

Dan.NY
Car: Nssan Pathfinder

Automatic. ABS light used to remain on constantly for years. I just checked and its off now though. I do not see the light coming on when ignition is on, but engine is not running. Seems ABS light is off permanently. Could this be some type of neutral safety switch issue?

mdmellott

If the ABS warning light was ignored for year, the bulb might now be burned out. The light should turn on when the ignition switch is in the ON position (not started) and it should turn off when the engine is running. The best place to start is diagnose and fix this issue first and hope it clears up the issue of having the press the brake pedal to start the engine. I can't figure out how it's related but it might be. Pages BR-51 and BR-73-78 of the FSM should be able to help you get started to figure this out. https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 998/br.pdf

mdmellott

Dan.NY wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:26 am
More and more often now I have to step on the brake pedal in order to start the engine. Up until recently, I never had to step on the brake to start the engine. Im not at all sure where to begin troubleshooting this. Any ideas?
One more thing to consider is to have a good scan tool take a look at your systems for errors. Not all diagnostic trouble codes will turn on a warning light but they will still be captured and recorded in memory for a scan tool to read. Additionally, if there was a trouble code stored in memory that should have turned on your ABS warning light, but the light is burned out, you will never know unless you use a scan tool to find out.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”