1998 Nissan Pathfinder timing belt job questions.

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Nissfinder
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 LE

I’m going to tackle the timing belt job next weekend. vg33e engine. I believe I have got all the components for a complete timing belt change job. This includes timing belt, tensioner and tensioner spring, water pump, front crankshaft and camshaft seals, bypass hose. I went ahead and got upper and lower radiator hoses and new serpentine belts, Thermostat, RTV high temp silicone gasket maker, some antifreeze.

First question: Is there anything I’m missing?

Second question: is there any way I can remove the timing belt without having to remove the AC hose?? It’s basically right in front of the upper timing belt cover... I was thinking I can “shimmy” the cover around the AC hose?

THANK YOU FOR READING AND THE HELP!

paranoidjack
Car: 2012 M56s
2003 M45
2001 QX4
2000 Q45
1998 Pathy
1996 J30

Yes, you can shimmy the AC hard line and work around it. You do NOT want to disconnect it, you are correct. Be careful throughout because they are high pressure and it will make for a scary moment if not treated carefully.

sounds like you are on point here. You will have to remove the harmonic balancer, which is a nightmare without the right tool. So get yourself a harmonic balancer puller. There are two threaded holes in the pulley. You will insert two matching thread bolts through the removal tool and it will keep everything centered and help with the removal. This is probably the worst part of the job, short of ensuring all the teeth are lined up on the cams.

I didn't; but you might want to change the oil pump while you're in there. Who wants to do it twice? It's at the deepest part of the project and a good idea if you are going to keep the truck.

Other than that pretty straightforward, as I remember it (loosely):

1) Remove all belts, pullies, tensioners.
2) Remove brackets, etc and move AC line out of the way.
2a) Remove harmonic balancer.
3) Remove timing cover, and then timing belt.
4) Remove cams and replace seals (DO NOT SWAP THE CAMS, NOTE WHICH IS WHICH)
5) Remove water pump and replace with new gasket (or RTV, I forget)
6) (suggested) Do same with oil pump.
7) Reassemble.

Good luck!

Nissfinder
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 LE

Thank you for the reply!!! I had considered replacing the oil pump aswell but was unsure if it was necessary... I will go ahead and do it while I’m down there! Any suggestions on which pump to purchase? I’ve only had the truck for a few weeks now but I noticed last week one morning on a cold start a sound like a ticking from the motor (only for a half second) then it was normal. So maybe replacing the oil pump will help with the dry start. Or perhaps my rockers need to retorqued down? I’ll do both.
I do plan on keeping this truck. It was purchased off an old couple that garage kept it it’s whole life and took VERY good care of it. I can tell when I drive it that it’s a quality build. Hoping for 300k+! If possible.
It’s a 1998 with 122k miles. I feel like I struck gold when purchasing the truck.
Thanks again for the reply
:dblthumb:

paranoidjack
Car: 2012 M56s
2003 M45
2001 QX4
2000 Q45
1998 Pathy
1996 J30

I agree - sounds like a beauty. The power steering tensioning is odd in these trucks, but the rest is straight forward.

I'd use OEM parts when I'm going into the motor. Even aftermarket timing belts can vary slightly...to keep it simple I typically use OEM parts when dealing with "one time" projects.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”