1998 Nissan Altima won't start

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
chadsosne
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE

I was getting my oil changed and I had the place do an oil flush because it was old was long overdue. When they were finished with it my car wouldn't start. We tried jumping it ( my battery was fine at the time ) and nothing. It sounded like it was trying to catch but wouldn't turn over. I had my father-in-law tow my care back to my house which was only a mile away. I pulled the battery and charged it. When I put the battery back in it sort of sounded like the starter was turning but the engine had zero response. I opened the hood back up and I heard a clicking near the fuse box ( more under it ) and I pulled the starter fuse and the clicking stopped. I also noticed my dash lights were flickering on and off intermittently. I put the fuse back in and the clicking started again. I don't believe this is my starter as it is brand new. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Welcome to NICO.

How old is the battery?

carldu
Car: 08 Titan

Have your battery tested. It might not giving enough power.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

X3, the battery and LOADTEST it. The car does not care how much the owner thinks the battery is OK. They are commonly not, I used to do that all the time. You cannot say battery is OK until it has passed that test and at the proper CCA. Then and only then you can go on to other things as suspect.

The clicking if down by starter is a weak solenoid trying to connect but does not have enough power to stay thrown one way, another clear indicator of dead battery.

chadsosne
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE

Thank you for your suggestions. I dont believe it is the battery. It is less than a year old and I fully charged it and had another vehicle jumping it when I tried to start it. I am wondering after hearing about a power issue if I have a short somewhere or bad wiring.

sky5031
Car: 200sx ,240sx, 300zx ,altima, frontier

HI, I own three of these altimas 2 1999 and 1 1998, there basically same with small changes, I went through a similar issue with 98,
wouldnt start, battery was good ,just wouldnt turn over. This starting system goes through a number of connections and relays and switches in the system. The starter was the cause on mine and it just seems to be the same problem "wiring" , the oil filter is directly across from the starter, there is a harness that crosses over the top of the oil filter to connect the oil pressure sensor, the person that had changed the oil caught the wire harness on mine pulling it to right and in do so pulled the quick connect plug off the starter solinoid terminal. it looked like it was hooked up but it was floating on the plastic covering. Learn alot about this starter circuit on this 98, There also a ground that goes through the transmission switch can come loose causing it not to start. If you get in the car and put your foot on the brake try to start the car if nothing slowly move the transmission selector arm down and see if you get a start. This check alignment of the arm on the switch to the relationship of the transmission selector. Another is a fuse link that could be bad that powers the starter moter. and relay. If yours has the security system it has two in series with each other (one controls the signal from the key control and the other is the starter relay both are located in the black box to the passenger side in the engine comparment.
What light show on the dash when you turn the key to start? sky5031

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”