1998 I30 auto tranny start of a starting problem

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
zul8tr
Car: 1998 Infiniti I30, 1992 300ZX

Problem: When starting the car the starter sometimes has a lazy sound and not sharp and crisp like it used to be. Sounds like the starter solenoid is laboring a bit.

These items check OK on car: alternator, battery and starter. Had them checked at a shop that rebuilds huge amounts starters and alternators here in Orlando. They said to definatively check the starter would require pulling it out and get it on the bench for inspection and testing. I am willing to do that but not until I exhaust other simpler possibilities.

I had what appears to be the same kind of problem with my 1992 300zx. Turned out to be the starter relay had burned contacts even though it bench tested OK but it wouldn't pass adaquate current needed to properly excite the starter solenoid. This failure happened slowly over several weeks until no starter engagement just dead.

What about the start inhibitor relay in the I30 at location E58 on the engine room harness in the relay box just to the left of the radiator where the coolant fan relays are located? Anybody replaced this inhibitor relay as a result of resolving lazy starter issues?

Any other thoughts

Thanks

Modified by zul8tr at 5:03 AM 12/2/2009

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”