1998 GXE - Changed Battery Will Not Turn Over

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
nranra
Car: 1998 Altima
2006 Titan

We had a good cold snap that killed my battery. So I jump the car off and drive it for 10 Minutes, turn it off, and it would not start (battery was shot). So I replace the battery and now the car will not turn over. I get dash lights, the security light blinks when I open the door, and I hear a click under the hood around where the starter is. I would find it a coincidence that the battery and the starter both went out at the same time. So I am wondering if removing power from the car when changing the battery had an impact on it. Any help would be appreciated.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Maybe your anti-theft system is preventing the vehicle from starting. Anytime you disconnect and reconnect your battery, the factory alarm will arm upon re-connection and the vehicle will not start. You have to close your doors, then manually lock and unlock the door with your key. This should turn off the security system and you should be able to start the vehicle.

nranra
2006 Titan

Thanks for the reply. The locks on this car have gotten to the point where the passenger side does not work and the drivers will only unlock the doors. So I locked the doors, got out, shut the door, and unlocked with the key. Still will not crank.

04pathse

You might try unlocking the trunk, if that doesn't work open the hood and remove the cover from the relay box that is next to the power steering pump. Locate the theft warning relay (may or may not be marked SECU) (its written on the relay box cover) and remove it.

04pathse

You can also try this procedure: disconnected negative cable on battery, turn the ignition to the run position and leave it there. Then reconnect the battery and try to start car.

nranra
2006 Titan

Thanks path. So I pulled the anti theft fuse and no luck. Tried to unlock the trunk but it does not budge. I even opened it via the inside latch and tried to feel if the rod was moving. It would not budge.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Maybe not battery at all? Possible power cable connections? Click under hood at starter says power switched on but not enough amp to power starter up, just a click.

nranra
2006 Titan

Thanks for the advice amc49. But the battery was definitely shot. I have placed a multi meter on the new battery and hit the ignition switch and the battery still shows over 12v.

I found this thread: http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/genera ... iscussion-
1993-2001/296636-factory-security-help-car-wont-start.html

Tried unplugging the SECU with no luck. Also tried unplugging all 3 of the anti theft relays with no luck.

04pathse

Did you try disconnecting battery, turning ignition to run position, then reconnect battery and then try to start car?

nranra
2006 Titan

Sorry so long to respond but I ended up having the car towed to my mechanic. And it was only the starter! Coincidence that it went along with the battery but that was it. 320,000 miles finally did it in.

sky5031
Car: 200sx ,240sx, 300zx ,altima, frontier

If you ever want to check and see if the starter motor is good and works and can get under the car , set the brake , key off and take and short between the battery connection on the top of the starter (its the larger of the two terminals) and smaller terminal which is the power from the ingnition switch, short to the large terminal this will and should engage the solinoid, starter motor should turn ov, (use a small screw drive to short between terminals) (careful not to short the large terminal to ground. you can also buy a remote starter button from the frieght store.

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”