1998 240sx se factory amp locations

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
Vkoslak
Car: 1992 240SX SE rb26dett, 2004 Subaru Forester

Exactly where are the factory amps located?I just bought this car, and Ive done some searching online,but I cant seem to find any information on the stock radiosetup. This car has an aftermarket (but horrible) head unit, and the clarion speakers in the rear. I dont know whats in the front. Im assuming stock. Also, are the clarions 1ohm like what is in the 300zx?(I have one of those too) If not I guess Ill need to replace all the speakers as well.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

96_S14_SE
Car: 96 S14 SE - 05 VW GTI 1.8t - 89 S13 coupe "gold on brown"

I believe they are 4 ohm.... Id have to check but I remember seeing them labled on the back.

For the amps, fold down the rear seat or open the trunk and look up under the rear deck between the stock rear speakers. Itll look like a single long brick, but actually houses both amps.

Vkoslak

I didnt see a brick shaped anything between the rear speakers in the trunk, so I'm going to assume that the amps were indeed pulled out when the head unit was changed. I put in some 6.5" 180watt kenwoods in the rear tonight and it sounds a lot better than it did. Old ones were blown. Still it doesnt sounds as good as I think it should. I have the smaller varient in my Z and they sound quite a bit better. At this point I think its just bad wiring behind the head unit, once I figgure out how to get that out Ill take a more serious look at trying to figgure out why it doesnt sound as good as I think it should. Im thinking of putting in a 45x4 panasonic or a 52x4 sony head unit with cd player. I dont really want to install any extra amps or a subwoofer.

96_S14_SE
Car: 96 S14 SE - 05 VW GTI 1.8t - 89 S13 coupe "gold on brown"

You looked up under the rear deck right? Between the trunk lid tension bars and the pass through wall.

Where the wires going to the rear speakers factory (18 gauge wire or so like everything else wired in the car) or an actual speaker wire? That would be the first clue.....

They might have wired the oem harness up to the speakers as well though.

You said the speakers were the OEM clarions right....

I would check how the head unit is wired from the back, and take note of the wiring, as well as double checking the connections and such. Check it against the FSM diagram to see exactly which were used. It could also be that the wire is rather thin and would work fine to send signal to the factory amps, yet is lacking to provide the power from the head unit to the speakers....

Im kinda of curious as to what the front stage consists of.... Did the car come with the 6 speaker setup (rears, doors and a pillar tweets).... Ill double check on the locations for the 98 but I dont see why it would change over the 96 se, only mabey if it came with the 4 speaker setup instead. Im meeting up with my technition friend at his nissan dealership tommorow (wiring up a complete msd ignition for his TT z32 in a very limited time frame hehe) and could pull a FSM to double check.

Vkoslak

i cant find tweeters, so I think that I have a 4 speaker system. The only thing between the trunk lid tension bars is the trunk light. No wires going anywhere else. I have a digital camera and could take pictures. I noticed looking behind the center console from the side a big mess of wires had just been hacked and tied off. Im assuming thats the 20 or so wires from the harness for the radio.

The wires hooked up to the radio come up from beside the rear seat. and under the cardboard type material the factory speakers themselves actually sit under. According to the "bypassing the factory amp" faq on 240sx.org, its using the left and right speaker out + and - from the wireing harness. Im guessing the wires marked input are actually the ones carrying power to the amp?

Im going to go outside and see whats going on with the head unit in a few minutes.

I need to get one of those FSM. I have one for my Z but not for the 240.

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”