1997 Y33 Fuel Filter Replace

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
fontana dan
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

If you're gonna replace the fuel filter which is located near the rear right wheel, be prepared for a LOT of gas to leak out of the tank.
There is about 5" of rubber fuel line on either end of the filter which I had to replace due to dry rot. All while gas is pouring out. Lost 1/4 of a tank of gas mostly on my garage floor.
Just wanted to give folks a warning about this...
used filter # BECK/ARNLEY 0430840
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 4.04.15 PM.png

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

These are useful and cheap, and will usually tell you if your lines are rotted before you wind up with a gasoline mess. Or you can make your own from needlenose visegrips with heater hose stuck over the ends (that's what I use at the shop). Pinch off both sides and inspect for splits in the outer rubber before attacking the filter.

fontana dan
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

I'll keep the heater hose needlenose vice grips method in mind for next time.
I was ready with new fuel hose and clamps before attacking the filter. However I was not at all ready for the volume of gasoline which was going to leak out of the tank onto my body- AFTER disabling the fuel pump and depressurizing the system.
Totally hazardous. Felt like I was going to asphyxiate or combust at any moment.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 1.25.51 PM.png

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

fontana dan wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:42 pm
I was ready with new fuel hose and clamps before attacking the filter. However I was not at all ready for the volume of gasoline which was going to leak out of the tank onto my body- AFTER disabling the fuel pump and depressurizing the system.
Totally hazardous. Felt like I was going to asphyxiate or combust at any moment.
It was probably siphoning. There's a check valve in the pump that keeps the line full, so even though the pump isn't pumping, gravity takes over.

Gravity is very reliable, ask either one of my cats. :lolling:

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”