1997 Q45(POWER STEERING BELT)

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Bigdipper

Im trying to replace power steering belt can someone tell me what i must losen in order to remove old belt, and replace with new. and if possible describe the location. THANKS IN ADVANCE

oldmako
Car: '99 Q45 190K Black&Tan '96 Silverado 5.0 245K '89 23' Irvette CC F351

You must first loosen the belt tensioner. Remarkably enough, it's located on the belt to the power steering pump. Those Infin engineers were some pretty tricky dudes if you axe me.

The tensioner is an idler wheel mounted on a long threaded bolt with a lock nut. Pretty cool and infinitely adjustable. The pump lives on the front of the engine, but I can't remember 'zactly where. I thinks that the A/C is on the left, and the PS pump is on the right. Follow the hoses from the reservoir and it's obvious. The alt is a two belt affair on top. It's been two years since I've torn into it so sorry bout my schism.

Download the FSM and take a peek. It's accessed from underneath the car (the PS belt and tensioner, not the FSM - that you get over the innernets) The under engine cover / splash shield must be removed firstest. Once you get your head in there, the location of the tensioner and all the associated goodies will become immediately obvious. Might as well replace all the belts while you're at it.

If I weren't so busy I'd come over and do it for you. You'd need to have beer, tunes and a nice stick (cohiba, rocky patel, ashton, macanudo etc) available.

Just kiddin. I have enough crap on my plate already.

Modified by oldmako at 6:23 PM 10/5/2009
Modified by oldmako at 6:46 PM 10/5/2009

Bigdipper

THANKS FOR THE REPLY. Well finally took it off. ANyway i haven't install the new one yet( still waiting on the part) however i want to know is there anything else i can replace while im there. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

oldmako
Car: '99 Q45 190K Black&Tan '96 Silverado 5.0 245K '89 23' Irvette CC F351

You may as well do all 4 belts while you are under the car and have the sneeze shield off. When I bought my car, the belts were so mangled you would have thought that they wouldn't make it to the next stop light. Point being, I did them all and two yrs later they still look new. One less thing to worry about when I motor down the freeway at 4 am.

AC on the left (drivers) side, PS right and two belts for the alt on top. IOS for sure.....Advance Auto maybe.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”