1997 Q45 mileage/reliability

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
genkdis

There is a nice article on this site with buying advice for the 90-96 Q45 but it might not apply to the 97-2001 model.

I am considering a used 99 Q45. It's already got over 100k on the odometer. Would the 99 q45 be considered a "long-lasting" vehicle? I would want to put at least another 100k on it over the next 6 or so years. Would this car fit the bill (assuming of course that the previous owner has maintained it well etc.)?

I drive a 95 altima currently and have been pleased with its reliability. in general, change oil every 3k miles like clockwork and it's good to go. have put 120k on it since i bought it new. Sure -- of late, it needs a part replaced every year but that's fine with me. If the Q45 can be expected to behave similarly (ask no more than $3-400 in parts besides oil changes every year), I will be a very pleased camper.

Any general thoughts on the 99 model would be appreciated. I love the Q45 styling mch more so than the competing Beemers and Mercs and Lexii. Yeah, I'm not one for ostentation :-)

Also, is this a car one can work (basic stuff) on at home? Say replacing brake pads, or the distributor or check engine codes etc. These are a piece of cake on the Alty. Is the Q similar or is a mechanic/shop's wet-dream?

Thanks for any replies. Peace out.

Q_SHIP
Car: 1999 Q45T with a billion miles.

The Y33 (97-01) is a pretty reliable car. I wouldnt go as to saying it's as good as your altima but hey, the Q has more toys and with more toys, you have more peoblems. You have to expect it. I have 150k on mine and im pleased. I did knock sensors that were a p.i.t.a. but thats about it.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

genkdis wrote:(ask no more than $3-400 in parts besides oil changes every year), I will be a very pleased camper.
Short answer: It aint gonna happen... I dont think youll ever come across a Q that will need less than 300 in parts a year... I suppose it *could* be done, but wanting to put 100k on it and KEEP it running would be real tough.....

I think a better idea on what to spend for parts is more like 1000ish.. The 97-01 Q45 (FGY33 generation) are very reliable, and tend to have less breakdowns as the earlier Qs, and also less finicky problems. The G50 (9096 Q) is a fairly fussy car, and if your anal about everything, youll always have something to do.

The Y33s seem to be more solid, and generally regarded as bulletproof. Youll want to find one iwth real good maintenance history (key), especially if you want it to see well into the 200k range.. Most things (on any car) really start to break after 100k....

It all depends on how picky you are.....

Doing a quick reality check, if you do your required maintenence fluids, (ALL of em, tranny, brake, oil, PS, rear diff) brakes, filters, spark plugs and other tuneup items, as far as REPAIRS are concerned, 300/yr might not be a bad thing

2400 over 6 years (worst case) in jsut replacement parts (of things that need replacement because they have failed), not including maintenance related things, may not be too bad... Ive spent 2000 in one year on my Q... At this point, i havent spent any money on replacing things that have "failed" and will cause the car to not run..... My Q has never failed to get me from point A to point B

Bottom line, you will be doing a lot more things, and if you dont mind handling a little more car, then you will have ot pay more... If you dont mind that (and its *really* not *that* much more) then the rewards make it worth it. if you like driving a quality automobile and are wiling to pay for it, go for it.

Otherwise, if a car is simply a mode of transportation, look away from any Q45..

97Q45t
Car: Viper RT/10, Ford Explorer 4WD

genkdis wrote:Also, is this a car one can work (basic stuff) on at home? Say replacing brake pads, or the distributor or check engine codes etc. These are a piece of cake on the Alty. Is the Q similar or is a mechanic/shop's wet-dream?
Brake pads replacement is easy (just like other Nissans). The Q45 doesn't use distributor in the ignition system so you don't have to worry about that every year. For general repair and diagnostic, you can download the factory service manual (FSM) at http://www.infiniti-techifo.com for a fee of $20. Working in the engine bay would be more difficult than it is in your Altima because of the large V8 and less space to work with.

On the '99-'01 Q45, the shocks on Touring models are much more expensive than non-Touring models ($300 vs $100, I think). Anyway if you want to have an ideal how much the parts cost, http://www.everythinginfiniti.com is the website to go to.

FarFetched
Car: Suzuki SV1000S.

Y33 Q45 97-01 is a fairly reliable car. It all depends on previous owner. I would recomend to check Carfax to see if it passed/failed emissions.Fixing emiss conserns could get very expensive. I had 4 candidates before I got my Old Lady, 2 of them had failed 1-2 emiss tests in the past, it was automatic . Third one shifted kinda weird, atf looked/smelled funny. That said, I was left with the "uglies" of all (paint isn't in perfect cond frnt/rear bumpers in particular). So far I have replaced, MAF, Knock Sensors, Full Tune Up, Turbine Sensor (leaking- possible weak point). and bunch of other stuff. She runs llike a Cheetah. P.S CHECK ENGINE VACCUUM BEFORE YOU BUY IT. VERY GOOD INDICATOR OF OVERAL CONDITION!Cheers!

5zigen

^what is engine vacuum? I'm assuming its the intake?

Anyways, the Q45 is a very reliable car. But it definitely does rely on what the previous owner did. Back in 2000 my dad bought the '97 Q, 38k miles, second owner; previous owner had used it as a lease car (I found out today on Carfax, lol.) The thing is, probably because it was just a lease car, the previous owner thought he could abuse it; at just 38k my dad had to have the dealership rebuild the entire engine, very, very, very expensive.

But now, running immaculately at 992xx on the clock with the only problem being my drivers side seat motor being almost a goner (grinding noise), I love the car. I also took into consideration that when my mom drove it, it saw no maintenance.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

FarFetched wrote:It all depends on previous owner.
Definitely!

I learned the hard way not to buy a lease return ... these cars do not get treated well!

Z

FarFetched
Car: Suzuki SV1000S.

vacuum should be steady at (perfect numbers) 18-20" Hg (by the books it is 14-22" Hg. mine was 18.5 rock steady. not a ripple even though the engine's been neglected. Every engine needs a work out(especially diesels). The best place is freeway, long trips at various speeds. Full warm up, complete OBDII drive cycle, all the monitors checked. City, short trips wear an engine faster in general. Go to an Infiniti service rep and get a service info, and register for Recall updates. That's what I have done. At major service intervals (30-60-90 etc.) techs will note all that needs to be replaced or serviced. Cheers!

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

First rule is to get the dealer performed service history.

Second rule is to inspect the fluids, tires, other wear items.

Third rule is to get it inspected by a senior Infiniti technician.

Carfax is optional and not necessarily definitive.

genkdis

First of all, THANKS to all of you who replied. And reply you guys did so thoughtfully...maybe it says something about the infiniti owner profile!

To clarify about my expectations -- Any car I buy can expect royal maintenance -- i.e. oil changes, tire rotations/replacements, brake pads changed, battery replaced, no abusive driving etc. I don't really count maintenance expenses as expenses per se ... i mean no matter what car i buy, i will do those. It's the parts conking out (not wearing out) that concerns me. i.e. an alternater or starter dying prematurely. $1000/yr on dead parts is a lot to me. Up to 500 is okay (again this 500 would not include regular maintenance such as oil/tires/battery/brakepads). But from the sound of it, I should be ready to pump much more than 500 per year. That does make me pause a bit.

Another thing that concerns me a bit is that nobody jumped in to say that Q engines can last 300K miles :-) I mean there are literally dozens of guys with Altys who have over 200k. I figured that the Q also would have a bullet-proof engine (again, assuming no abuse and great maintenance that i am willing to do) but what I am hearing is that with advanced technologies and added components, reliability is definitely affected to the downside. Or am I reading you guys wrong?

After my experience with the Altima, I really want to stay with Nissan. At this point, they have won me over totally and in general I like the Q for its looks, the reviews are good too.

Last, if this makes any difference to the replies -- Ideally, I would buy the Q and use it only for long trips (read freeway miles) on the weekends. For commuting and everyday rides, I will stick to the Alty.

Indeed, to me a car should be a reliable means to get from point A to B. But that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate the finer aspects :-)

Before I forget, another question -- What is the vaccum intake? Is that something I can inspect myself?

Thanks again and apologies for my meandering post.

EDIT 1: Just re-read Elwesso's post. He seems to indicate that 300/year in parts in addition to regular maintenance is do-able. Is this an accurate interpretation on my part? Thanks.

EDIT 2: Man, I just keep adding to my post. Any comparisions (reliability and durability wise) with the Lexus would also be good to know...
Modified by genkdis at 10:58 AM 7/1/2005

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

any 50,000 dollar plus car is made with EXPENSIVE parts,and will cost more to keep up than a run of the mill altima/accord/camry-even your altima,as it passes 100-120 thousand miles will be impossible to maintain on 300/year as a budget for replacement parts.sounds like you should be looking for a less expensive,way lower milage vehicle if 300 is your target for parts costs per year.

96Qowner
Car: 1996 Q45

Here's a fine old thread about the cost of restoring and keeping a G50 in proper running condition, as well as some comparisons to other comparable cars. Q45tech works closely with T3 Automotive, a private shop specializing in Infiniti and Lexus with hundreds of regular customers from all over the Southeast.

zerothread?id=93200

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

These cars can easily see 200k + with proper maint. I got mine at 76k about a year and a half ago, it now has 90k. Since I've had it I've spent:200 on suspension re-hab300 on alternator150 on 2 O2 sensors15 on fuel filter~100 on Amsoil or Redline oil changes45 on engine and cabin air filters200 on all new belts

I think that's it for maintanence items, and then about 2.5k more on wheels/tires, springs/shocks, tint, curtains, etc...

Consumer Reports gives it no worse than 4 out of 5 stars in EVERY category, including long term reliability. Awesome cars.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

genkdis wrote: Any comparisions (reliability and durability wise) with the Lexus would also be good to know.
No imported luxury V8 sedan is as cheap to maintain as a 4 cylinder econobox. But it can be substantially cheaper or no more expensive than many cars if you do the simple stuff regularly yourself, and use the dealer for diagnosis, a good independent for minor repairs you may not be able to do. The board sponsors also are a great benefit in reducing parts costs.

I think you have a good handle and reading the old posts will help. The thing you seem to understand is regular maintenance will forestall major component failure. When these components fail, things go south fast. Unfortuantely, the future life of these components is largely determined by maintenance in their early life. This is why dealer service history is always the first thing one considers. Cosmetics are only skin deep. The inspection by a certified technician is equally as critical. Low mileage ones may be less abused, but things like rubber are still worn form atmospheric degradation.

That said, if you are trying to get by on a wing and a prayer with no cash reserve, you are looking in the wrong class of car.

Reading the previous posts here will educate you greatly. Fy33 can be quite bullet proof if not abused, but buying anything used with no warranty, nothing is assured.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”