1997 Nissan Pathfinder No Spark or Fuel, Alarm?

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
DaninUkee
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE Chilkoot Edition
270, 000 KMs

Hi Thanks in advance for your time in viewing this thread.
I have a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder. SE Chilkoot edition. 270,000 KMs. I parked the vehicle on November 30th/2010 as I went traveling for 2months. I live on the West coast of Vancouver Island and it is really rainy here. So upon returning, I go to start the truck, and notice there is mold growing on parts of the interior of the vehicle. I try to start the truck and it just turns over and over and over. I check for spark and there isn't any. I cant hear the fuel pump whirring either. I even tried to use starting fluid at first before I checked for spark, but no dice.
This vehicle has a built in alarm/security system, I am beginning to wonder if this is immobilizing the car. Because when I try to start the car it just spins like there is no load or whatever on it. I am completely dumbfounded. There is no remote for the alarm it just works on the key and the door locks. I was told if you open the rear window glass this resets the alarm, but to no avail. I have had a heater blowing in the interior for 3 days now and everything is good and dry. I have removed and tested the ignition relay and it is fuctioning correctly with continuity. I am in really bad need of some help. Thank you so much for any help at all. Kind regards, Dan :confused: :wtf2:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

No fuel OR spark... yeah it sounds like some sort of immobilizer. Sometimes they install a little switch somewhere on the interior to try and bypass it.
You should also check the ECU for any codes, as well as check the fuel pump fuse. Do you see any evidence of rodents chewing on wires or anything?

DaninUkee
270, 000 KMs

Thanks Papa Smurf,
I Have looked and tried the small "valet" switch for the alarm, and nothing. My buddy is coming by today and I think he's got the ECU tester/reader I will then have a look. I checked the fuel pump fuse and its fine too. This is some crazy "PHANTOM" wire problem. Also there was no evidence of rodents and the such, just moisture/humidity, due to how rainy and humid it is here on Vancouver Island. Also, where I live there is no Nissan Dealership... thats a 2.5hour drive away... We are literally on the Wet... I mean West Coast. Help.......................... :wtf2:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

One thing I can think of for sure is to pull off your distributor cap and check for moisture. That can definitely prevent the vehicle from getting spark (it has happened to me). Usually moisture gets in there if the seal is bad, or if the cap itself has a crack in it. Is the cap original?

The next thing you can do would be to pull off the fuel pump cover (not sure where it is on a pathfinder but you can look it up in the Factory Service Manual... a link for which is in my signature), then pull the harness off of it and put a volt meter on it. Turn they key to "ON" and check to see if voltage is getting to the pump. The harness you'll want to test should just have 2 wires. The other harness is for the tank level.

DaninUkee
270, 000 KMs

Thanks again Papa Smurf,

The first thing I did after trying to start the vehicle when I got home was checking the distributor cap and it was bone dry and is in good condition, not original d.c either. There was no moisture or anything in the cap it was bone dry. I will check check for voltage on the fuel pump but I think it will not have any voltage there. I can't hear it whirring or pressuring up the line. I will keep ya posted. Thanks for the help... :wtf2: So frustrating... car was running great when I parked it.
Also... I tried to open the passenger door with the alarm on and the alarm started blaring, so I unlocked the Drivers side door and it shut the alarm off, I then proceeded to try and start it again, but no dice. Damn :wtf2:

DaninUkee
270, 000 KMs

Hey, quick thought... could be the ECM or PCM. Like the computer? How likely is that to just quit working like that? Would maybe explain it? I was able to look at the FSM Thanks to Papa Smurf!!! Anyways it looks like the wiring diagram just shows the starter being deactivated or rather going to the "Smart Entrance Control Unit" which is connected to the "Starter Cutout" What d'ya figure? Thanks :tisk:

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”