1997 Nissan Hardbody - hesitates while accelerating

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
laylasowner
Car: 1997 Nissan Hardbody 4x4 SE

Hello,

Thanks in advance to everyone in this forum. I've been a reader, not a poster, for quite sometime and have gleaned a ton of good information and techniques from the posts here. While I have found pieces of my issue described in other posts here and around the net, I have yet to discover a fix. Hoping that someone here has seen what I am experiencing.

Somewhat quick history: 97 Nissan Hardbody SE 4x4 4-cyl with stock everything except for small lift. Has almost 180,000 miles. No 'major' work under the hood.

Over the summer a friend and I were off-roading for over 8 hours looking for camping and fishing spots. Around the 8 hour mark the truck started to run really rough while driving and was idling rough. Black smoke was pouring out of the exhaust pipe and it would die if I did not keep my foot on the gas. On top of that, it was having issues going above (I believe, don't have a tach) 2,500 rpms. It would just rev up then jerk violently and stop accelerating until the rpms dropped then I could gas it and they would go up again to the 2,5000 rpm mark before it would do it all over again. I was able to get home by shifting into the next gear every 9-10 mph. To get to 30 mph I had to be in 3rd gear, 40 mph in 4th, and could only get up to about 50 mph in the final (5th) gear. And the CEL was now lit.

I let the truck rest until the morning before starting it again. It started fine, was not idling rough or blowing out black smoke, and I had no issues getting the rpms up. It drove as well as it ever did. The CEL was still on so I drove it down to autozone for a free diagnostic. Their reader showed a cylinder 3 misfire as well as a MAF out of range. When I started the truck but up to leave autozone, it went back to running poorly and not allowing the rpms to get up past 2,500. Went home and cleaned the maf. No difference. Checked connections to oxygen sensors and anything else I could reach under the hood. Everything appeared to be connected properly. With the help of a friend, I replaced the fuel filter, checked the cat converter, replaced spark plugs and cables, checked the timing, and changed the oil. Of course none of those things worked, but he was hoping it would be a 'simple fix' so we tried those first.

But what I did discover was from then on, the truck would start and run fine if it had not been driven for at least half a day. As soon as it got warmed up to running temp the problems would come back. The first 10-15 minutes it ran as good as the day I bought it and then when it reached that temp or whatever sensor/part turned on, it was a completely different truck. From what I read it was going into 'limp mode' as soon as it warmed up.

Anyway, I ran out of time and money to get her repaired so I have just been driving another vehicle and the truck has been in the garage. Started working on it again last week. A mechanic suggested replacing the distributor. After replacing the distributor it ran better and stopped dying at idle. I also replaced the maf and that further smoothed out the idle and also fixed the rpm problem. I drove it around the block and noticed it had a 'dead spot' in the rpms. By this I mean that while accelerating, it hesitates early in the gear and I have to force the accelerator to the floor so it 'gets past' this part and then accelerates as normal. Then I shift gears and it happens again. It also idles better but not perfect. It sounds like it wants to backfire and you can tell it's not smooth. The exhaust also stinks and it sounds like it's 'coughing' while idling... increased spurts of sound coming from exhaust. Disconnected battery overnight and when I plugged it back in and turned it on, the CEL was out but it was not driving better. Let it run for a few minutes and the light came back on.

Now, this was yesterday and I plan on taking it back to get the codes from the CEL light today. Wanted to post this to see if anyone has suggestions or answers. Thanks for taking the time to read my first post!

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

Sounds like you could be having some kind of voltage problem. Perhaps the alt is weak or you have a bad ground. It could also be a timing issue, does this issue go away when the timing is advanced?

laylasowner

Thanks Rev. I will try adjusting the timing and will reply with results.

Went to autozone earlier today and it coded P0130. Oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1. I picked one up for about $50 and will try installing tomorrow. *Hoping that'll do it*

Rev_D21
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

The O2 sensor is important on those trucks, a bad one will send the ECM into a default mode which may or may not be correct for the driving situation. The O2 sensor is basically an ear for the ECM to determine if the last cycle was too rich or too lean. Hopefully that fixes it for you.

laylasowner

I'm starting to understand how important these sensors are! Thanks again.

On a side note, I spoke with a local Nissan dealership repair department. The tech said to check the timing again, as we did not do it correctly the first time. He said there is a procedure that needs to take place wherein the coolant system or something else has to be disconnected? The first time we adjusted it we just pointed the timing light to the proper area and adjusted the distributor until it was good. Does anyone have the steps to do this? Thanks.

Rev_D21
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) needs to be disconnected, I believe that is what he was talking about.

Here's the MA section of the service manual.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/pathfinder/ ... der/ma.pdf

And for ignition and mixture info check the KA section of the Engine Control (EC) part of the manual.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/pathfinder/ ... der/ec.pdf

laylasowner

Thanks again Rev.

I scanned through the MA pages and did not see a section for timing. Did I miss something? And I also noticed these are both for pathfinders, but am assuming everything translates to my hardbody.

Rev_D21
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

Yes, Nissan grouped the truck and the Pathifnder FSMs together for a few years. Look at the KA24E data for your truck. Also timing info should be in the EC section, the second link I gave you in my last post.

laylasowner

Alright so got the new o2 sensor installed. Old one looked pretty bad. Fired her up and everything sounds good... drove around and got into 5th gear with no hesitation issues! Right now problem appears to be solved but the CEL was still lit. Disconnected battery and leaving overnight to see if that gets rid of it and if not, well, I guess back for one more diagnostic and re-checking the timing.

o0Syn
Car: 92 Nissan 240SX Convertible

The CEL will go off eventually if the battery pull does not do it. I think its like 200+miles I went before mine shut off. I tried the battery disconnect and that didn't work for me back when I had issues, I probably didn't leave it off long enough though. Good thing you got her all sorted out but do be careful I have a 96 and my O2's went and my MAF died all at the same time too so watch out for that as a possibility also if it starts acting up.

Rev_D21
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

You can always buy a cheap-o code scanner from Harbor Freight and the like. That will clear the light for you.

laylasowner

Thanks o0Syn and Rev. The truck is still running better and I was able to run her down to deq yesterday. Unfortunately, it was unable to pass due to the computer still resetting. Guess I didn't drive it long/far enough after disconnecting the battery. Anyway, I did find the procedure online on how to get it back up so I am going to try that and just drive on the freeway a bit. Will post another update after next deq visit.

knly1974
Car: 97 Nissan Hardbody 4x4 2.4 l and 91 Nissan Hardbody two wheel drive 2.4 l

I have had the same problem with hesitation on acceleration with my 97 4 X4 2.4. I have replaced the O2 sensor the map sensor the maf sensor the fuel filter and still have the problem.

oneline180
Car: 93 RMS13, 2006 B15 Sentra, 1995 D21 Hardbody Pickup

I remember a similar issue with my old 1993 240sx. What resulted in fixing the issue was replacing the fuel pump with a walboro unit. Wish I could say that fixed the issue entirely 100%, but I sold it shortly after that. best of luck

mouse53
Car: 86 D21 Nissan PU 221,000 mi, sold, 93 Chev Silverado , 91 D21 my work truck.

I have the same problem with my 91 RWD and have done most everything stated here and more. The manual will tell you to disconnect throttle position sensor and set to 12 I think, then on the side of the same page it says to set at 15. Mine will go back and forth while idling at a light and will drive you nuts. Went you go to leave the light it hesitates, then clears. Wish I knew the answer.

Jclemo
Car: Nissan Hardbody pickup

Map sensor will cause this issue
As well as a Maf sensor I went thru
Pretty much the same thing. I think
Sometimes you have to draw a line.
At least that's what I've done after over
500. Dollars later. I quit..it's been a great
Truck 17 yrs. And 247000 miles later.
But good luck JC

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”