1997 Nissan Altima Steering Tilt Issue

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
MitchTurner
Car: 1997 Nissan Altima SE Manual 2.4l

I recently had a very faulty ignition lock issue where my key would no longer turn the switch over far enough to crank the car without a massive amount of effort and frustration, so I sucked it up and bought a new one. Not having enough $$ left to pay someone to do it for me, I set out to do it myself. After spending 14 billion dollars on tools (would have been cheaper to pay someone else. sheesh...) I changed the thing and now I can start my car again. One problem though. The lever that you raise / lower to adjust the height of the steering wheel no longer functions properly. During the process of changing the ignition lock, I did remove the 22mm nut holding the lever in place, but I did put it back on and as tight as I can get it, but when i set the steering wheel to it's maximum height, it very easily slide downward, forcing the lever to slide down with it? How do I fix this? I cannot leave it that way as I am a rather tall person and with the steering wheel in the down position, I cannot see the upper half of the dashboard (turning signals, speed, ect...)

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Sure it's supposed to be super tight?, some clutch or rachet arrangements need to be set slightly loose to have enough clearance to operate. Just a guess, I would have to be there to see how it works to really fix it. Obviously a look at the work there issue if it worked before.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Sure it's supposed to be super tight?, some clutch or rachet arrangements need to be set slightly loose to have enough clearance to operate. Just a guess, I would have to be there to see how it works to really fix it. Obviously a look at the work there issue if it worked before. If the nut is a self locking type that would reinforce that idea.

MitchTurner
Car: 1997 Nissan Altima SE Manual 2.4l

Here is an image showing the underneath. And not, it's not supposed to be lose: https://imgur.com/W9NqtZb
Here is a video that I uploaded to Youtube: https://youtu.be/X_hw-7UFcvo

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

You're likely right as long as the nut can still slide in that slot picced in the imgur shot. The slot may be the axle housing swivel point.

You need to chase the other end of the tilt lever to see what it is not doing, it has some function at the other end obviously not working or spring loaded like normal because it simply falls down in the vid.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”