1997 Maxima transmission control module (TCM) differences

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
dacrazyman

My 1997 Nissan Maxima has been acting differently since I replaced the transmission control module (TCM). I replaced my original TCM (31036 0L701, A64-000 E54) with a used one from ebay (31036 0L700, A64-000 E46). Since then, my transmission shifts to higher gear at a lower rpm than previously. In addition, my speedometer periodically gets stuck at 0 mph; engine code P0600 arises and eventually P0500 arises which causes my engine light to come on. I'm still able to drive my car fine, so I've been erasing the engine light with my obdii reader, but it eventually returns.

Do you think the ebay TCM is causing these issues? Is there a significant difference between TCM 0L701 vs TCM 0L700? I was thinking of getting an original TCM 0L701 and seeing if it resolves my problems.

macgiver

mac,history of original trans problem helpful here; VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor),taken off trans is "input" to speedo/odom. in your car? ; VSS is input to ECM & more importantly acquired by TCM and VERY much factor in shift timing ; helpful to state code "translation's" when seeking help ; TCM is BRAIN behind transmission operations , but always remember -"Garbage in, Garbage out" ! :rotflmao ; Gotta do any "on -board" trans diagnostic specifically involving the TCM,which most have - it's sort of "in addition to" the overall OBD-II system , like a trans SUB-CHECK , if you will accept that moniker.
Obviously - a different part # , as in logic from "Occum's razor" stating -"simplest scenario , usually IS THE explanation" rules here :facepalm:

dacrazyman

Thanks for your reply. Bottom-line, appears the root cause and simplest solution is to replace the TCM with the identical part # as the original. It's strange that Nissan had two different TCM part #s for the 1997 Maxima.

Any other suggestions before I go through the pain of taking apart my entire center console again to replace that TCM?

macgiver

mac, :rotfl Don't put back the lower baffle till your REALLY done .Been there !
Sounds also though ,P0500 VSS being intermittant CAN throw the P0600 , and to BE redundant -did you do (see FSM for procedural sequence,NOT OBDII scan here!) trans diagnostic ? ,Svc Lt will flash , ex. my J30 2nd flash long = VSS , 12th flash long = ECM toTCM signal path inturrupting , etc. Gotta try this test of the 13 or so trans "external"/internal specific faults that may be happening?

dacrazyman

Thanks. Would you happen to know where in the FSM to find trans diagnostic?

macgiver

mac, if there is a separate trans diagnostic procedure it would usually be right before the CONSULT instructions -early IN the Transmission section, and it would be a "self-testing" of ALL the pertinent parameters SPECIFICALLY to trans.
Usually a complex "procedure" of several steps involving ign key ,ACC,RUN positions and sequences of the shift console positions will render flashing of the MIL(Svc eng,soon Lt). Decoding "Long" flashes(my car) of approx. 13 to 15 possible errors.
And so if you have this diagnostic available in your 97 OBD-II car , furthermore, and no problems are indicated , then it looks to be "probable" that the TCM is therefore simply not shifting THE WAY YOUR CAR NEEDS. And unless a TCM can be re-programmed , and easily? THEN obviously another TCM - the proper part # needed! :lolling: First-off , make sure your harnesses were/are "tight" - those codes (p0500,p0600) ECM & VSS to TCM communication bother me.

dacrazyman

I think i found the transmission diagnostic procedure (found on AT-27 of 1997 maxima FSM). You weren't kidding about "complex procedure of several steps involving ign key, ACC, RUN positions and sequences of the shift console positions will render flashing." Doh. Is there a special tool/scanner that can diagnose transmission, so I can avoid this complicated procedure?

It's too bad my obdii reader won't work for this.

dacrazyman

btw, here is history as to why i changed the TCM in the first place: maxima-in-fail-safe-limp-mode-t617853.html

macgiver

mac,wow , looks like alt. regulation was "shot" and the overvolt swings fried some "things". But you know,that trans sequence for it's self diagnostic - you don't want avoid it , it's very "telling" , if you make a mistake in ONE step it doesn't break anything.If engine/ trans not warmed up enough it will continually "short-flash" , just idle for 5 more minutes. p.s. Way back I knew how to get it , then 3 years ago , I needed to do again , I screwd up ONE thing (key pos.) and frustration , 6 attempts. After I cooled down and tried it again - cup of coffee , nice calm weather , good attitude , birds a chirp'in 2 days later,I got it easily and had to think hard what part of the sequence I did wrong! :lolling:I've seen some very specialized test diagnostic "gear" at a transmission shop , I would'nt pretend to know/tell much about it , and it WAS an ALDL connected, on an OBD-II car. The "front" man was VERY tight lipped about it - even seemed to keep a hand over the Decal's model named! :rotflmao Several thousands dollars looked like - no Autozone
"quick-scan" tool there. :tisk: To say the least , I thought he COULD be F 'n up my programming/ shift points -sucking me in you know . This machine looked like it would make a Maserati drive like SH!%TTY
SH!%TTY Bang-Bang. :inoutgay:

dacrazyman

Yah, I had quite an adventure. The silver lining is I've been learning a lot through all this.Thanks for the tips and sharing your experience. I'll probably mess up and need to take a coffe break as well. :P

I'll work on this over the weekend.

dacrazyman

I completed the trans diagnostic. I got first flash long = Revolution sensor circuit is short-circuited or disconnected. Is this a difficult repair?

Does this mean my TCM with different part # is likely not the cause of my problem?

dacrazyman

By the way, I'm NOT getting code P0720 (Faulty revolution sensor/harness/circuit). so the trans diagnostic (first flash long) is not aligning with obdii code.

I don't know how to interpret these conflicting diagnostics???

macgiver

mac, for whatever reason "back at the ECM" is not seeing/ and/ or displaying the Rev-sensor issue 1) may be the p0500/p0600 suggesting "BAD ECM to TCM communication - that alone may "make" the Rev-sensor LOOK bad to the "system" ( looks like bad to TCM in your case) 2) I have , and I believe you GOTTA get an ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group) Svc. manual . Mine TM RE4R01A for my J , maybe similar to your Maxima, in that complex trans flow chart - you see Rev sensor WREAKING HAVOC w/ALL shifting-timing!
I believe these are located EXTERNALLY near the output shaft (it's the shaft speed of trans NOT VSS which is the "other" speed input to the ECM/TCM "SYSTEM" ) - At least NOT usually an internal part . 3) Very,very likely that simply a broken wire , connector not tight or worn or corroded etc. , a wire route to or from ECM/ TCM routes involved which APPEAR to be a faulty Rev-sensor - when ,as the ECM comm. codes say "comm. problem" ? 4) So back to your first assumption of a "conflict of ECM vs TCM self diagnostics " - no real CONFLICT- address the fact of the Rev-sensor comm. / wiring/connector integrity -whatever ,so that the TRANS-DIAGNOSTIC does NOT give that "first long" , indicating Rev-sens. 5) That ATSG manual is INDISPENSIBLE , that ATSG manual INDISPENSIBLE!!! :lolling: 6) There should be a "field" test, like ohms, on that Rev-sens (an on vehicle test probly). :yesnod
p.s. ANY intensive testing of wires to & from whatever should always be done w/ battery disconnected. NEVER use a BATTERY(1.5V or 9V) powered "Idiot-Tester" , always use a MULTIMETER's continuity - preferably one with audible tone (they "warble-sounded" upon iffy connections! ) =SAFER , lower voltage/current utilized in a meter :yesnod . And usually you will need an additional ,long "traveler" wire for return of testing longer than the meter's leads allow. Amazon has these manuals per your full trans model # :gapteeth:

dacrazyman

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate your prompt replies and thorough guidance. After doing a bunch of reading in the FSM and online, the root cause is likely 1) a bad TCM or 2) bad ECM/TCM harness, connectors, or circuit (like you theorized). The P0600 code I keep getting on my obdii reader lists the two causes above.

I'm leaning toward swapping the TCM with original part # because it's cheap ($20 on ebay) and familiar (I've done it before). Trying to find a bad ECM/TCM harness, connectors, or circuit will take more work...because I don't know what i'm doing. Would you agree with my approach of replacing the TCM first?

Is this the indispensable ATSG manual you mentioned (see ebay link below for 1997 Nissan RE4FO2A)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Nissan-RE ... .l4275.c10

macgiver

mac,yes your onto the right trail here $20 -for the correct part# is smart , and an easy swap to see if THAT will do the trick. Yes that manual ,series, IF that's your trans model IS what I believe to be great help with "getting into" transmission work.The new TCM would possibly be a 'backup' kind of if there is absolutely no difference from the performance of the current questionable part# - although the new # ought to be used from here-on-in. :gapteeth:

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”