1997 Infiniti J30t lock-up torque converter issues

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
joshuaas1093
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30t

I have a 1997 J30t with some weird quirks on the lock-up torque converter. Now the first problem I've noticed a lot of people have had with this model. My lock up won't engage when first driving, it takes a few minutes of driving and warming up before it engages. Not really too worried about that. But the other issue is anytime I'm going at speeds 40mph and above, if I suddenly let off the accelerator to slow down in traffic, then depress the accelerator once more to increase my speeds again, the car will let out a little "jerk" or something of that sort before it will accelerate again. It's not like a big thud or anything. And sometimes it feels more subtle, just depending on the driving conditions. But it only does it when I'm at 40mph or above. The second it drops to 39mph or below, it doesn't do it. I've had the transmission serviced recently including fluid change, filter kit, and cooler lines cleaned. Other than this little quirk, the transmission acts perfectly for its age and mileage (195,000). Not one slip or anything of the sort. That's why I just can't believe the transmission could fall victim to transmission failure.. I've read all kinds of posts on transmission failure with the J30 and mine has never had any symptoms of that kind. Now it was diagnosed with a bad IACV and I've heard back and forth that this could very well have something to do with it. I know the IACV has caused stalling and other weird quirky issues, so all fingers crossed that this plays a part with the tranny as well. Even the Nissan dealer said this was all related, but I'd just like to make sure. There is a check engine light on but I'm pretty sure that's because of the IACV. No A/T check light on and I've taken it to a shop that plugged the transmission up and no codes popped up. I've read forum posts everywhere trying to replicate a problem and the only one close enough that matches up is from the Nissan Murano. Not sure if those two problems are related but they matched closely on the way my tranny was acting. And this may just be how the J30 drives on the hwy. I've never driven another one to compare. But does anyone else's J30 do this or done it in the past? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Even if it is a little quirk and nothing to worry about, that is fine with me. I love this car and want to keep it forever! Thanks all!

Nissan805
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30

joshuaas1093 wrote:I have a 1997 J30t with some weird quirks on the lock-up torque converter. Now the first problem I've noticed a lot of people have had with this model. My lock up won't engage when first driving, it takes a few minutes of driving and warming up before it engages. Not really too worried about that.
I covered this in my reply to you, and apparently you missed the answer. You also missed the entire thread you previously posted in which gave an answer pertaining to this question. I would suggest going back and re-reading the entire thread because your question has already been answered. If you don't believe people here, then that's your prerogative. Yes, it's normal for the transmission not to lock up until the computer sees the transmission is at operating temperature.
joshuaas1093 wrote:But the other issue is anytime I'm going at speeds 40mph and above, if I suddenly let off the accelerator to slow down in traffic, then depress the accelerator once more to increase my speeds again, the car will let out a little "jerk" or something of that sort before it will accelerate again. It's not like a big thud or anything. And sometimes it feels more subtle, just depending on the driving conditions. But it only does it when I'm at 40mph or above. The second it drops to 39mph or below, it doesn't do it.
It's complicated and near impossible to diagnose your issue based on the description you gave. It sounds like driveline slack which is normal for an old car, but that's a guess. Keep in mind the J30 is RWD.
joshuaas1093 wrote:I've had the transmission serviced recently including fluid change, filter kit, and cooler lines cleaned. Other than this little quirk, the transmission acts perfectly for its age and mileage (195,000). Not one slip or anything of the sort. That's why I just can't believe the transmission could fall victim to transmission failure.. I've read all kinds of posts on transmission failure with the J30 and mine has never had any symptoms of that kind.
It depends on the service history and driving patterns of the previous owner. Sometimes certain vehicles that roll off the factory line last longer than other identical units. Predicting or not predicting a transmission failure is a waste of mental energy. Sometimes there are symptoms, other times it can fail catastrophically without warning. Your statement: "I just can't believe the transmission could fall victim to transmission failure" is not a realistic thought based on reason. And, "Victim"?
joshuaas1093 wrote:Now it was diagnosed with a bad IACV and I've heard back and forth that this could very well have something to do with it.
I am not a mechanic professionally, but I have been working on my own vehicles for a long time and work in the tech field (computers). I don't think the IACV is causing your transmission issue, but the issue you described is vague and ambiguous. And even if you did try to explain it more, it may not make anyone understand any better what your problem is. That's one of the drawbacks with internet communications. People go on witch hunts searching for a solution to a "problem" which may not even exist, and by the time they go from A-Z and think they nailed the problem, they didn't achieve anything. If your torque converter is locking up after the transmission is at operating temperature, and you don't really have any driveability issue, then what is the problem exactly? Your driveline makes a little clunk? What do you expect at 200k?
joshuaas1093 wrote:No A/T check light on and I've taken it to a shop that plugged the transmission up and no codes popped up.
Was it leaking? Did you mean to say that they connected a computer to the transmission?
joshuaas1093 wrote:I've read forum posts everywhere trying to replicate a problem and the only one close enough that matches up is from the Nissan Murano.
I bet you could search all over the internet and find what sounds like your issue, except that it exists in a myriad of makes and models. It's called lost in translation.
joshuaas1093 wrote:I love this car and want to keep it forever! Thanks all!
Nothing lasts forever.

joshuaas1093
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30t

This was years ago but I just now saw your reply. I’m only commenting to tell you to pull your head out of your a**. You condescending prick. I posted to find useful answers, not to have ***holes like you put your two cents in. If this two similar threads got posted, then holy s***, my f*** bad bro. Just burn me to the ground. Your answers were zero help. Other than to show what a douche bag you are. We all got it, you can respond like a smart-a** who tries to sound somewhat helpful. Yea f*** head I got cars and other inanimate objects don’t last forever. It was not drive-line slack. My problem was torque converter shudder. Anything else douche-baggy you’d like to say? So.. in closing.. GFY!!!!!!

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

did you ever find the cause and/or fix the issue?

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”