1997 Hardbody pickup

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Jclemo
Car: Nissan Hardbody pickup

Hello my name is JC.
I'm new to the site and hopefully I'm in the right
Spot. I'm almost 70 yrs. Old and do all my own
Mechanic work. I've owned my Hardbody for
Like 17 yrs. Last year going to a Dr. Appointment
My truck ran hot due to a rusted out freeze plug
I managed to get back home after several hours
And two bottles of bars leak . I pulled the head
Took it in had it tested and resurfaced and valve
Job. 250.00. After installing the head and back to business as usual I developed a really bad exhaust leak. Wound up pulling the head again
To retap and rethread the studs. Also replaced the timing chain and gears this time. I noticed I seem to have excessive chain play new tenitioner installed as well. I'm now thinking the problem lies in the head resurfaced job. So here's my situation I don't know how much they
Removed from the head so what I need is some
Guidance on what to do to remedy this chain slapping . How do I figure out if I need to use a head shim or cometic gasket or just a Graphite
Head gasket. Cometic head gasket is impossible to find for a 2.4 L. The DE cometic
Gaskets are plentiful. But no ka24 at all. With a 89 mm bore they apparently don't exist. So I need some good pro advise on this head issue.
I'd say they took a minimal amount from the head ..but I have no statistics to go by concerning the thickness of the stock head
Before it was resurfaced. Anyone who can shed some light on this matter please contact me or post the info I'd really appreciate any help you can provide..I'm thinking I'm going to sell it when
I get it back together. Thanks in advance. JC

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard JC!

I think you're right on the possibility that the cam towers should be shimmed to compensate for the surfacing removed.

This article states otherwise: http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41745

Looks like these guys offer them: https://innomach.com/images/IMS-CATALOG.pdf

Jclemo

That's great thank you. I found a guy who sells a rachet style tenitioner 100.00 money back guarantee. On you tube James Martin. Says this will eliminate all chain slack. What's your opinion. Shim or ratchet tenitioner? Thanks for the quick response. I found the shim on the web site Fel pro... JC

Jclemo

I hope I posted this thank you to I believe it's Hitman in the correct spot.i don't know my
Way around yet. The info was excellent and I found the shim so again thank you. JC

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”