1996 Quest, want to disable auto door locking

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
dave_at_efi
Car: 1996 Nissan Quest GXE

At random times, all the doors suddenly lock.

I'd like to disable the system that causes this with minimal fuss, like pulling a fuse, for example.

The el.pdf document describes the "Power Door Lock" system as going through "a 7.5 amp fuse (No 41, located in the fuse and fusible link box)." That's nice, but the foldout.pdf document doesn't show a fuse 41, only going up to 32.

OK, maybe try disconnecting the "Smart Entrance Control Unit." Connectors M44, M45, and M46 apparently control the Smart Entrance Control Unit. But where are these connectors located in the van?

Anybody got an idea of how to solve the random-locking problem?

Thanks.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

You don't want to disconnect the smart entrance control unit, it controls many other functions such as the alarm, remotes, battery saver, etc. The automatic locking is strange. If you use a remote keyfob, try not carrying it for several days to see if the problem alleviates - perhaps the keyfob is malfunctioning. The owner's manual doesn't say anything about a feature that automatically locks the doors when the vehicle reaches a certain speed, so I'm fairly sure something is malfunctioning.

dave_at_efi

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm also sure something is malfunctioning! ;-) It's happened about 6 times in the last 2-3 weeks on our recently purchased van.

It's not the key fob. This happened at least once with the key fob 10 miles away, and we normally use the non-fob key.

Mostly, it seems to happen when we are parked, key out, and a door opens, then gets shut. Suddenly, all the doors are locked. We've discovered this happened as we go to open the rear door!

We haven't tracked it down to a particular door yet. It might happen again when we manually unlock one door. We just read the owner's manual and found out that double-unlocking will unlock all the doors.

We live in a very low crime area where we don't even lock the doors, and prior to this malfunction, I just left the key on the floor. I don't mind losing the alarms, remotes and battery saver. I just don't want to get locked out!

Any further thoughts?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Sounds almost like there's some "stickiness" in the locking switch.

Have you taken the switch out and cleaned it? Given that it's a minivan, it wouldn't surprise me if there's some funk (spills / food / random grime) in the switch.

dave_at_efi

My wife, bless her, googled the problem, and apparently it is a common one. We've experienced several of the instances described here:

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Complain ... Quest/Door

This website
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/20 ... locks.html
suggests that the problem is that one of the two lock/unlock switches on the inside of the front doors is making intermediate contact.

This website gives a really good description of how to troubleshoot the problem:
http://mysite.verizon.net/cshaines/vill ... #doorlocks

Apparently, a number of things can cause this problem, even a corroded battery terminal! Described is where locking the driver's door manually locks /all/ the doors. That was happening to me.

Off to the toolbox and multi-tester. Nothing like dissecting a car you just bought...

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

...the joys of a pre-owned vehicle...

Never fear - We're here for you!

You've obviously already found the online Factory Service Manual, but for others' reference, they're here: www.nicoclub.com/FSM

dave_at_efi

It was the passenger side electric lock switch. Two screws removed, the clip holder spring slid over, and the switch connector disconnected. No more problem. Whew! Could have been much tougher to find and fix. Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to “Quest Forum”