1996 Nissan Hardbody with CEL

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
GuamSailor
Car: 1996 Nissan Pickup

Well folks, first off, I'm sort of new to this forum. Used to be an active member 15 years ago when I had a 95 240sx. I just bought me a 1996 Nissan Hardbody w/125,000 miles on it. For a 22 year old truck, she's pretty clean and cosmetically appreciable. I changed the oil, plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor. She wouldn't start back up after all that. So I changed the fuel filter (which was like sucking a freshly made frosty from wendys through a straw) and the fuel pump. The fuel pump strainer was clogged from rust build up in the tank. After all that, Voila, she started right up.

Now I'm getting the following codes:
P0180 (fuel temp sensor): I wish I would've known this when I dropped the tank. My plan is to replace that.
P0400: My plan is to clean the EGR valve and check the solenoid.
P0420: My plan is to check the o2 sensor and hopefully not replace the catalytic converter.

I saw a video of a dude putting two spark plug fouler protectors on to the O2 sensor and then screwing that into the exhaust to overcome the P0420. His thought process is that it removes it further from the heat and the gasses. Has anyone tried this before?

Is there anything that you guys recommend I do, besides what I've mentioned? Am I on the right track?

GuamSailor

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Few questions. Engine size - manual or automatic - 2 wd. 4x4 ? Location of 02 sensor. Depending where the vehicle was manufactured, some pickups had a down stream 02 sensor. The 02 sensor uses a special tool for removing them kind hard to justify removing it and not replacing it

whomadewho

There are a lot of aftermarket 02 sensors available reasonably priced. Did you erase the stored engine codes? How does the engine idle and run? Just an opinion myself before I would do anything I would try a fuel treatment additive like Marvel mystery.oil or something similar to it. Add 4-6 ounces to a full tank of fuel. Try it for several tanks of fuel. Possible you might be dealing with a build up of engine deposits the swirl valve the EGR valve the throttle valve could be gummed up. Test any sensors before replacing them. This site has a a FREE repair manual available. Sounds like using snake oil but it’s worth a try. Also check for vacuum leaks. Keep in mind when a code appears indicating a faulty sensor it doesn’t always mean the sensor is bad. Can indicate another issue is causing the code to appear.

GuamSailor

whomadewho wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:57 am
Few questions. Engine size - manual or automatic - 2 wd. 4x4 ? Location of 02 sensor. Depending where the vehicle was manufactured, some pickups had a down stream 02 sensor. The 02 sensor uses a special tool for removing them kind hard to justify removing it and not replacing it
Its a 2.4L 2wd. The only sensor I seen wss the downstream one. Ill take another look this afternoon. If I do remove it, ill be replacing it. Just dont want to have to replace the cat.

GuamSailor

whomadewho wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:42 am
There are a lot of aftermarket 02 sensors available reasonably priced. Did you erase the stored engine codes? How does the engine idle and run? Just an opinion myself before I would do anything I would try a fuel treatment additive like Marvel mystery.oil or something similar to it. Add 4-6 ounces to a full tank of fuel. Try it for several tanks of fuel. Possible you might be dealing with a build up of engine deposits the swirl valve the EGR valve the throttle valve could be gummed up. Test any sensors before replacing them. This site has a a FREE repair manual available. Sounds like using snake oil but it’s worth a try. Also check for vacuum leaks. Keep in mind when a code appears indicating a faulty sensor it doesn’t always mean the sensor is bad. Can indicate another issue is causing the code to appear.

I didnt erase any of the stored engine codes. Ill have to look up how to do that.
The engine runs and idles great.
As for additives, i out in some lucas fuel cleaner. Never heard of the mystery stuff, but ill look into it.

Thanks for all the info. Ill definitely be working on thise tomorrow. I found the manual and a buddy of mine also gave me a haynes manual. I currently drive this beast and enjoy every minute of it.

whomadewho

Lot of parts stores check codes for free. Stop by one and have the codes erased.

jonathan1173
Car: 1997 Nissan Pickup XE 4X2

I've often used Seafoam on mine to clean intake I disconnect the brake booster vacuum line while running and allow it to suck in the seafoam. Get ready for alot of smoke as it burns out all the gunk. Has always made an improvement for me.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”