1996 Keyless entry questions

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
OrangeCat
Car: 1996 Mercury Villager

I have the Quest's cousin, the '96 Mercury Villager Nautica. My van has the keypad on the door, but it doesn't come with the "theft" light on the instrumental pod. I read the owner's manual, that means my car wasn't ordered with anti theft deterrent system (pretty weird since mine is the top of the line model).

I only have the key, so I wanted to see if I could get a key fob. I had the Ford dealer look up my VIN, they say my van supports and comes with a key fob when new. Is it possible to have a key fob without anti theft system? That means my van can beep if I hit the panic button, but it won't stop a thief from stealing it?

Also, I found a junked '96 Quest in the junkyard, and that one had the "theft" light on the pod, so I snatched the little control pods. I didn't know where the anti theft module was. Could anyone tell me the location of the anti theft module? Also, can I install the Quest anti theft module onto the Villager? Are these modules programmable/swap-able, or are they limited to the original van only?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The remote entry system and NATS/NVIS "smart key" system are two different things. No security lamp means your ride uses a steel key and has no "immobilizer", but if it's fob-capable then it does have an SEC (Smart Entry Control, prehistoric ancestor of the BCM) and will sound an alarm if the doors are broken into without the driver's door cylinder being used. You should be able to purchase fobs and link them to the SEC. There's a simple procedure using in-outs of the ignition key along with the door lock switch to link new fobs, there are plenty of threads in here about how to do that.

OrangeCat
Car: 1996 Mercury Villager

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:28 pm
The remote entry system and NATS/NVIS "smart key" system are two different things. No security lamp means your ride uses a steel key and has no "immobilizer", but if it's fob-capable then it does have an SEC (Smart Entry Control, prehistoric ancestor of the BCM) and will sound an alarm if the doors are broken into without the driver's door cylinder being used. You should be able to purchase fobs and link them to the SEC. There's a simple procedure using in-outs of the ignition key along with the door lock switch to link new fobs, there are plenty of threads in here about how to do that.
Thanks a lot, I got a remote on ebay and I'll try to program it once it arrives.

Return to “Quest Forum”