1996 HB a/c dash switch

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Mick504
Car: 1996 Nissan XE PICKUP

My a/c was hinky for awhile, upon push the a/c switch (the one that lights up blue) sometimes the system wouldn’t engage with out moving the blower switch back and forth. One day I was working with the cigarette lighter, trying to bend the prongs out so it would stay in place and got a spark like something shorted out, I was using something plastic to avoid that from happening. After that the a/c wouldn’t work at all. Bought a new switch and replaced it but no go. I had someone check both the cig lighter and the a/c to make sure Power was coming to both and they read fine. Swapped the relays under the hood and those checked out fine. Previously the light for the blower switch had gone out but everything still worked after that happened, heater, defroster.

Is it possible that part of the blower switch could have gone bad that activates the compressor?

I’m a complete noob on most things. 🙄

Mick

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Hard to arm chair the problem. If the blower switch works fine and you have power at the dash switch and the relay under the hood. The next step would be to check the Freon. If the system is low the a/c compressor will not kick in.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

While you’re at it make sure you have good air flow between the radiator and condenser and the clutch fan is operating correctly. I drive down a lot of goat trails and discovered the radiator was obstructed by debris.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”