1996 Hardbody electric fuel pump replacement.........

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
nissantkguy
Car: 1996 Nissan truck

I have a 1996 Nissan XE (KA24E) engine w/ auto trans.. With 225,000 miles on it. I believe it has the original fuel pump installed. No problems with fuel pressure. No hesitation under hard acceleration. I am having the truck repainted and the bed will be removed. Perfect time to service the fuel pump. Looks like Nissan has discontinued the fuel pump for this truck. Checked Ebay and no Nissan oem fuel pumps available. I did come across A new "Herko #055GE" fuel pump for sale. For $64.66. Went to "Rock Auto" and all their fuel pumps look like they require some custom work to install. I have never bought any of Herko's products before. Wondering if anyone has bought one of these" Herko" fuel pumps and how they hold up over time? Or maybe there is another good high quality aftermarket fuel pump available for this truck? These aftermarket parts can be a question mark. Maybe I would be better off in just removing the old pump, replacing the strainer, fuel lines and fuel pump to tank seal or gasket and reinstalling the original Japanese fuel pump. It has lasted for 24 years.

I have another question on this truck. I am getting some detonation (pinging) under moderate acceleration and especially on hills. This detonation problem started about 6 months ago. I replaced the T.P.S. with an oem Hitachi unit. Adjusted it to 0.50 volts output to the computer. Tried to set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC. The timing was probably set at about 14 degrees BTDC. I thought that might solve the problem, but it didn't. Still some sporadic detonation. It isn't really loud, but it is there. Before doing this I looked for a Knock Sensor on this engine. Could not find one anywhere. If it did not come with a knock sensor, how does the computer help control detonation? Maybe there is a sensor elsewhere that helps control detonation. The KA24DE did come with a Knock Sensor. Seems a little odd to design a fuel injected engine w/o a Knock Sensor. There might be some sensor that is dirty or failing. And causing this problem. Fuel mileage is about 27 to 28 mpg on the highway. And about 21 to 22 mpg around town. I checked the compression and it is fairly even in all cylinders, about 145 to 150 psi. Not like a new engine, but then it has 225,000 miles. I had an error code issue on this truck for over a year. "Cylinder 4 misfire". Turned out it was plugged intake manifold EGR ports. There are 4 hex wrench head plugs, flush mounted in the top of the intake manifold just inside of the head. I removed all 4 plugs and found that 3 of the ports were completely plugged with carbon. I used a straightened coat hanger and a vacuum cleaner to clean #1,#2 and #3 ports to the head. Reinstalled the plugs. After doing this the engine ran like a different engine. Couldn't believe the difference. There are no mechanics shops near where I live that have much experience working on these Hardbody trucks. So that is why I am here. Thanks.........................

nissantkguy
Car: 1996 Nissan truck

Did a little looking around and decided to get a Herko #055GE Fuel Pump Module and a Denso #951-0007 Fuel Pump. I will replace the pump in the Herko unit with the Denso pump. The Denso might be a more reliable pump. Replace all the fuel lines and install a new fuel filter. I will let you know how it works out. The Herko was $65.00 and the Denso was $72.00.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Sounds like you're getting it right. That knocking isn't surprising for a KA with 225k on it. They carbon up pretty good over time, as you've seen.

Some would suggest a Seafoam process to clear some of that carbon - In my experience, that's sneaking up on rebuild time, so it may not be worth the effort. The good news is, a KA is gravy to rebuild, and you'll get another quarter-million miles out of it!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”