1996 Hardbody differential help needed

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
rtbarr
Car: 1996 Hardbody pickup

Hi, I'm a new member. I have owned a 1996 Hardbody D21 2WD pickup for over 4 years. It has over 225,000 miles, but was a strong dependable ride until recently.

Six months ago I let my daughter borrow it, and within a few days she called me and said I needed to have my truck towed in "I think the clutch is burned out..." Sure enough, the truck would start fine, but when attempting to put it in gear, letting out the clutch, nothing happened.

My independent Japanese car specialty garage (former factory trained Honda mechanic) towed it and diagnosed it as a destroyed rear differential. He said "I'm not sure how one could do this, must have taken some effort..."

He said my best bet was to try to find a salvage differential to swap out. He has ordered 3 replacement salvage ones from a local LKQ salvage yard, but says none of these would work as my differential. He says my differential does not have a dropout carrier, and all 3 of the salvage ones did have a dropout carrier (even though the salvage yard said they did not).

So my truck has been sitting in his parking lot for 6 months.

I read a nice post about the various differentials here, and learned the sticker inside the driver's door should specify the differential. Mine has a notation for the axle, says it is HF 35. Does this information help? It also says Model: BBFGLEF-EUN TRUCK 8B000

So, I don't know what a dropout carrier is, and have no idea if substituting a differential with a dropout carrier would be feasible or work at all. I am hoping someone else here knows enough to help me find a substitute. I bought my truck from the second owner. I believe the engine, transmission, and differential are all original factory parts.

Russell Barr

rtbarr

FWIW the transmission is the 5 speed manual.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

The 1996 Nissan pickup 4x2 used a drop out and a non drop out. If I remember correctly one had 195/75/ Tires 14 and the other used 215/60/14 inch tires.

whomadewho

You might be able to interchange them provide you have proper wheel clearance. Not sure if the driveshafts will interchange? You might have to swap them. Another problem would be the speedometer might not be accurate? Could end up changing them?

whomadewho

Another draw back if you switch to drop out your going to need the carrier housing assembly.. Might have to find an OEM or rebuild ring and pinion assembly? Might be cheaper and less hassle going this route?

whomadewho

If the door tag is showing HF35 that number would indicate a dropout carrier? Go online - Hollander auto parts. The site is listing several Spicer non dropout carriers for sale at various salvage yards. Possibly one located near you?

whomadewho

Look at the tire size. 195/75/14 inch - would indicate dropout. 215/70/14 - would indicate spicer non dropout carrier assembly.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

HF35 is an H190 with 3.5x gearing and would be a drop out 3rd member. Have you had the truck since new? If not, I'm guessing someone swapped the rear on it at some point.

So get under it and look at the axle. If the diff has a removable rear diff cover with 8 bolts, it's probably a C200 (should have a CA## axle code on the door sticker.

The other possibility is that it does indeed have a drop out 3rd, but they're getting parts from a 4x4 truck which also uses a drop out 3rd member, but the axle is bigger and parts don't interchange.

Pictures are worth a thousand words here.

rtbarr

Thanks to all for the info. I did search Hollander, and found one without a dropout carrier in Arkansas. The notation about tire size is very interesting as well.

My mechanic seems to think he has a link to a replacement too. I'll repost if I fine a solution.

If I need to have the one in AR shipped, what is the least expensive option?

rtbarr

whomadewho

More than likely it will need to be shipped by motor freight? Talk with the vendor possibly they have or know of a freight carrier available? The cheapest way is to have it shipped to the carriers warehouse or dock? Another option get a price quote for the differential plus shipping and let them find a donkey to transport it?

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”