1996 300zx Twin Turbo BLOWN ENGINE?

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
lenivy
Car: 1996 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo

Hello everybody, last Saturday I became a proud owner of a Ultra Red 1996 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo, but my excitement was short lived because last night's cruise quite possibly turned into the last one. I took the car out for a spin just like I did for the past 3 days. About 10-15 minutes into the drive the check engine light came on. I noticed that and decided to return back home and get it checked out at the shop tomorrow morning, but on my way back home I was just cruising in 5th gear and then all of a sudden my dash lights up like a Christmas tree, car bogs down making a grinding noise, I put it in neutral and pull over and instantly shut it off. White smoke coming from the engine, a huge puddle of oil under the car and a trail about 20-30 ft long. Car wouldn’t crank over, nothing happens when you try to start the car.
Car had oil changed a week ago by the previous owner.
At the time of the incident had a little over 106k miles.
The only thing that the previous owner noted when I bought the car is that it had a small leak from the oil pan and it would have to be addressed at some point in the future, but in the past 3 days I didn’t see a single drop of oil on my driveway.
Any ideas on what happened or what could’ve caused this?
Thank you very much!

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Hard to tell without seeing the car, have you tried to roll it over by hand at the crank pulley bolt?

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”