1996 240sx Cranks Over But No Start - NO Power to Dash Icons

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Scirocco16v
Car: S14, Scirocco 16v

So this problem started when I driving one day and felt like someone just pulled the key out of the ignition, ie., the car did not hesitate or acted like it was out of fuel - just simply someone just pulled key out.

*Car cranks over STRONG, but does not start

*When the key is in "ON" mode - Warning lights on the dash like brake, oil engine light and etc are not present, as if there is no key in the ignition. but the interior lighting of the speedo and tach works (the glow) if I turn on the headlights.

*When I'm lucky with the dash's icon lights up, I can start the car, but only able to drive the car for a mile before the car cuts out like someone pulled the key out.

*All accessories that requires a KEY turned to "ON" works like Radio, Heater fan, power antenna, Individual R and L blinkers, and etc, except for the power windows, sunroof, and Rear Defroster. But the windows have been wired to my alarm for automatic roll up.

*I do notice no relays kick in when I have no dash icon lights, so I know things like the fuel pump isn't on or anything.

*I also noticed that my speedometer was not working a week prior to the problem.

*One of the things that I did change was a new non oem distributor about 3k miles ago. Just wanted to throw that out there in case a bad distributor can cause this electrical prob.

The car is a 1996 240sx SE 5spd, with stock engine, 120k. I've put over 40k on this and never had a problem like this before. I've checked all the fuses on the driver kick panel, but I'll triple check it if you think it's a specific one.

I have street cleaning on Monday and need to move my car tomorrow. My luck ran out on getting the Dash to come on to start my car.

PLEASE ADVISE!

I would try anything at this point. Thanks in advance for any help. FYI, battery is good and excellent - and new.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”