1995 Q45 suspension conversion

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
stevekantercool

I need some help. I have a 1995 Q45 that is badly in need of all four struts. The cost from our local dealer is $1,000.00 for each strut, and I can't afford that. I purchased a conversion kit from Strutmasters, which will allow me to remove the hydraulic struts, and replace them with gas struts. I don't forsee any problems bolting in the new struts. I have removed the two fuses from under the dashboard marked "ACTV", and have unhooked the wires that go to the pump, but I still get some residual flow (not much). what I want to know is, can I just block these holes without any future problems, or is there something I missed that needs to be done. Any help would be appreciated.

rsiwicki
Car: 95 Q45T

do a search on active conversions....redmanfx recently did it. there are numerous posts on the procedure posted in this forum.

btw...you could have contacted Nico member Texasoil and he woud have done all 4 active struts for $1,000.....he does a recharge of the acumulators for many many active Q45.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Yeah, read all posts by texasoil, then all by Q45tech before you go tearing into an active car.

You will save yourself a lot of heartache, expense, and probably your car.

redmanfx
Car: 92 Q45a

Nice to hear you got the suspension swapped out. The active fluid hoses will continue to pump oil because the Active pump is the same pump as your Power Steering pump and is always "pumping". You have to "loop back" the pump on itself. go to the Members Rides Gallery and check out the pic of "front pump loop" from redmanfx and you can see how I did it. You will have to have some tranny fluid or mineral oil pumping through the active side of the pump so when you do the loop back make sure it has some or your pump will sieze and you have no power steering and have to get a whole new setup for big bucks. All pulleys and a completely different PS pump will be needed if your pump siezes up.

This will stop the fluid from pumping through the active hoses(which I also removed along with the resivior). I'm kind of limited on my other wealth of resource information since I'm in St.Louis right now so please excuse my lack of other pictures or write ups.

Check out the picture and let me know if you have any other questions. You do not have to diconnect the active CPU. Just make sure your loop back hose is good and tight! It's very simple and take about 15 minutes.

redI'M DRIVING A BUICK RENTAL

redmanfx
Car: 92 Q45a

I just re-read your post. Have you replaced your suspension yet or are you ready to do so? This takes a while to do if you haven't already done so. Removing all the active fluid lines is something to think about doing as well and the 5 other accumulators and pumps. The main active pump is your PS pump as well and does not get removed, just looped back. This conversion can take an experienced mech. 10 hours and longer to do so plan on taking your time!! This active car is complex and a pain at times when removing this stuff. Afterwards your car will be 200lbs lighter.

red

dgeorge_c
Car: Conversions of all kinds

Interesting way of converting. I did just the opposite, pulling all of the active associated parts out first and then replacing the struts with the shocks and springs. By doing it your way, once you have looped the ps pump back, you could actually drive the car in between picking at it. Wish I had thought of that. It was a frightening experience for a wanna be wrencher.

texasoil
Car: '92 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Mercedes-Benz SL600

Too bad you 'converted. As noted, lots of parts required . See InfinitiPartsUSA.com for the 'kit'. must change springs, struts, mounts, etc. MUST fix the 'pump' to recirculate active fluid or it will fail shortly.

GreenQ45a
Car: 2012 Altima 3.5 SR CVT - Dark Slate w\Black Leather Sport\Tech\Premium

2010 Pathfinder 4.0 SE Auto - Red w\Grey Cloth Towing Pkg\Tech 1

My car can Drop down 4in below stock and rise 4in above stock.

all I added was a ASE664 Active suspension controller..

If you convert you car you'll have another Q45cWith Blues. (still a great car)

But nothing like my Active Q45 W\Controller.

I'm doing a write up about my controller with Pictures.. and I just took some video the other day. I'm converting it right now for the web...

DON'T GUT YOUR ACTIVE Q!

Texas will help you out for 1\4 the dealers cost...

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”