1995 Q45 AT diagnostic never finishes

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
69sroadster
Car: RHD 1979 280ZX 2+2. SR20DET & Z33 6 speed conversion. 2740 lb with gas and subwoofer.

1995 Q45 Base Model Platinum and slowly being refreshed from years of delayed TLC

I just swapped out my AT with a low mileage import from Japan. The previous one was slipping when cold in “D” until after a few minutes and also had a bad vibration when in 2nd. It was a pain to do with those upper AT to the engine bolts, but we got it done by dropping the whole package down under after removing the front cross-member as advised in the FSM.

After putting everything back together and checking the fluid level I started it up and gave it a run for a few minutes in each of the gears. Something is still not right as there is absolutely no movement at all in any gear position selected. Fluid level is a little high so I’m going to drain some out, but for now I ran (or at least started) the AT self-diagnostic multiple times and it starts but never finishes and reports anything. How can that be? My suspicion is the TPS feeding to the AT control for the diagnostic but I guess it could be a good many things. In the meantime I’m going to run through a bunch of the other sensor tests despite no reports from the AT diagnostic.

Does anyone know if you have to get the AT line pressure adapter from Nissan/Infinity or can a substitute of the appropriate size be used to connect up an oil pressure gauge?
Any other hints or ideas are welcome as I try to get her back up again and moving. The engine runs like a champ. I had to take the intake off also and replace a bunch of vacuum lines and coolant hoses.

Thanks in advance,

Sam in Oahu

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO Sam!

The A/T diagnostic has to be done with a warm engine and transmission, or it'll give you a result of "A/T Check" - so I'd suspect that's part of what's going on. Having never personally replaced a transmission, I don't have much more for you. I assume you have a copy of the factory service manual? If not, check out www.infinitiservicemanual.com

69sroadster
Car: RHD 1979 280ZX 2+2. SR20DET & Z33 6 speed conversion. 2740 lb with gas and subwoofer.

1995 Q45 Base Model Platinum and slowly being refreshed from years of delayed TLC

Too bad that probably won't help as I did run the motor for a while before attempting the AT check. I had the temp gauge to almost the halfway point. I'll start running through each of the individual sensor tests and quadruple check the fluid level again. I'm worried that the torque converter is a dud. I would hate having to pull that transmission again just to swap the darn thing out.

69sroadster

I never figured this one out but the "newsed" transmission is working alright. I'll have to try again to see if the AT check will now complete itself and report back what it finds for faults per the manual. Just FYI on the AT job...recommend dropping the front cross member with the steering rod disconnected and sway bar out of the way to get at the top AT to engine bolts from underneath with a long extension on an impact driver. Just watch your lines and hoses up front when you lower the whole thing down through the front frame rails.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”