1995 Nissan pickup - a few questions

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Legacy777

Hi all,

New member here. I've got a 1995 2wd pickup 4cyl I've had for a while. I've got a few questions about maintenance.

I'm going to redo the a/c system. Did this pickup come with R12 originally, or R134a? I'm planning to convert it, if it's R12. Does anyone know the viscosity of PAG oil to use?

Also, is there any normal maintenance issues that occur with this engine? I've got about 103k miles on it.

The only real issues I have are that the lifters make noise until oil pressure comes up, which takes a little longer then I feel it should. Also, I get a little bit of blue smoke.

So I think the oil pump might not be too hot, and the valve guides worn.

Thanks for any help.

Josh

NISTECH

All vehicles sold in the us were switched to R134a by 1994 so yours would be r134a. Oil viscosity i dont know I just use whatever parts gives me. It should say on the label under the hood on one.

The noise you here on start up is likely the tensioner building pressure. We have found at the dealer a couple of issues that cause this, 1 is the use of a factory oil filter and the use af 5w-30 oil is very important and in many cases resolves this problem. In other cases we have seen the tensioner is mearly worn out and bypasses oil untill enough flow is there to prevent it from rattling.

The blue smoke is indicative of burning oil, the pump would not cause this. You sure the smoke is not black? that would indicate a rich condition which may be an O2,Maf, or coolant temp sensor issue.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”