1995 nissan maxima engine flooding

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
jgonzo435
Car: 1992 240sx fastback SOLD
1995 nissan maxima auto W infinity i30 vq30

I recently replaced the radiator on my max and the next day it started running rough so I parked it at work. When I went to start it again I started really hard then ran really rough and alot of gas is coming out of the tail pipe. I checked the codes and it came up p1320 and p1335 and p0335 I checked all the plugs and coils every plug and I cleaned the ckps by the crank shaft pulley the codes went away but the car still won't run and there is alot of gas coming out of the exhaust. Any ideas would be very helpful thank you.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

jgonzo435 wrote:I recently replaced the radiator on my max and the next day it started running rough so I parked it at work. When I went to start it again I started really hard then ran really rough and alot of gas is coming out of the tail pipe. I checked the codes and it came up p1320 and p1335 and p0335 I checked all the plugs and coils every plug and I cleaned the ckps by the crank shaft pulley the codes went away but the car still won't run and there is alot of gas coming out of the exhaust. Any ideas would be very helpful thank you.
Sounds like it could just be a bad crank position sensor. Both P1335 and P0335 codes are your crankshaft position sensor. P1320 is an ignition code, but that could be related to a bad crankshaft position sensor. If your CPS is not reading correctly, your ignition coils could be firing at the wrong time, causing the P1320 code. Also, if your coils aren't firing at the correct times, this could cause unburnt fuel to come out of your exhaust as well. That is probably what you are seeing/smelling.

If I had to guess, I would say your CPS probably failed independently of your radiator replacement. Just coincidence that it happened at the same time. I would replace the CPS, clear the codes, and see if that fixes it.

jgonzo435

Well I pulled out one of the injectors and the plastic little tip was missing so I got another out of a junkyard and installed and its running pretty smooth but alot of white smoke and unburnt gas out of the tailpipe. it's not showing any codes except for p110 because I have an AEM intake and the iat is unplugged.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

jgonzo435 wrote:Well I pulled out one of the injectors and the plastic little tip was missing so I got another out of a junkyard and installed and its running pretty smooth but alot of white smoke and unburnt gas out of the tailpipe. it's not showing any codes except for p110 because I have an AEM intake and the iat is unplugged.
Plastic tip on an injector? You mean the injector nozzle was actually busted?

That could definitely cause some rough running problems and extra fuel, but I'm not sure how that would explain the crank position sensor codes. If you replaced the injector, you want to make sure you replace the injector o-rings as well. They can easily tear or crack and you can have a fuel leak. That might be the fuel you are smelling.

jgonzo435

The injector nozzle was missing and I inspected the o-rings and they looked good no cracks or anything. I used a multimeter and checked both of the crank position senors and they both had voltage ground and continuity to the ecm. I am lost and frustrated and about to lite this car on fire hahaha

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

jgonzo435 wrote:The injector nozzle was missing and I inspected the o-rings and they looked good no cracks or anything. I used a multimeter and checked both of the crank position senors and they both had voltage ground and continuity to the ecm. I am lost and frustrated and about to lite this car on fire hahaha
You could still have a bad sensor. Continuity could be bad within the sensor.

Go here and follow the procedures on pages 169 and also 199 to check the sensor. I still think that is the problem with your car.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1995/ec.pdf

jgonzo435

I did check the sensor following the instructions on page 169 and everything checked out ok but I did not check the one on page 199 I could not find the sensor but I will try again. One question do you think that sensor could be bad but not throw a code because I cleared the codes and it never came back

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

jgonzo435 wrote:I did check the sensor following the instructions on page 169 and everything checked out ok but I did not check the one on page 199 I could not find the sensor but I will try again. One question do you think that sensor could be bad but not throw a code because I cleared the codes and it never came back
It could be intermittent. So it could be a bad sensor that reads correctly most the time, but not all the time. Maybe it just hasn't tripped the light yet. It's worth testing anyway.

So as of right now, car is running rough, no check engine light, and you're spitting fuel out the exhaust?

jgonzo435

Last night I replaced the nozzle on the injector and it ran better not really miss firing but still spewing fuel out of exhaust and the code its showing now is p0110 for the iat which has a broken wire

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

jgonzo435 wrote:Last night I replaced the nozzle on the injector and it ran better not really miss firing but still spewing fuel out of exhaust and the code its showing now is p0110 for the iat which has a broken wire
Drive it for a bit and put some miles on it then. Maybe the broken injector was dumping so much fuel into the system that you have residue fuel in the system. It may take it a bit for it to clear up. Especially if excess fuel was being dumped into the intake manifold when the broken injector was still in place.

I had a similar problem on my Celica where, because of a bad turbo, it had dumped loads of oil into the intake system. Without taking the intake manifold off to thoroughly clean it out, I opted to just let it burn through until it cleared up. I was burning oil through the system for a week before it was clear.

I doubt your car is that extreme of a problem, but it would surprise me if it took a couple days to clear up.

jgonzo435

Im gonna check the cps tonight after work and then im gonna drive it for a bit and get the oil changed because its all thinned out and I will see what happens. Thank you for the help.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

jgonzo435 wrote:Im gonna check the cps tonight after work and then im gonna drive it for a bit and get the oil changed because its all thinned out and I will see what happens. Thank you for the help.
A leaky injector shouldn't affect your oil at all, unless you have bigger problems, like a blown head gasket.

jgonzo435

I was told that engine flooding with gas affects the oil because its going into the crankcase

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

jgonzo435 wrote:I was told that engine flooding with gas affects the oil because its going into the crankcase
I suppose in theory, that *could* happen, if you had fuel sitting in the combustion chamber that slowly leaked past the rings over time. However, if the car hasn't been sitting long, I don't see how that's related. If you had extra fuel in the combustion chamber, it should burn it up as soon as the car is started. An excess fuel would be pushed through the exhaust system.

But with that being said, it's always a good idea to change your oil frequently, so don't let my thoughts on the subject stop you from changing it.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”