1995 Nissan Hardbody pickup help needed

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
optically10
Car: 1995 Nissan Hardbaody pickup

My drivers side front wheel is toed in, I am not wanting to fork out anymore money on this truck. I need to know how to adjust it by hand just so it is a little bit closer to straight. I bought it used 10 years ago this way and it has always been that way. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me what to look for under there to adjust and how. PLEASE please. Photos would be great also. Feel free to email [email protected].
Thank you so much in advance I am desperate. I know it won't be perfect I am just looking for better.

RT22
Car: 1991 nissan hardbody

google front end parts and find a view of the front end parts. The tie rod ends allow adjustment on toe in and out, you can do it in the drive way and get it close. Use a string from rear wheel to front wheel and adjust until the string is flat on the front and back side of the front tire, that will be dang close. GOOGLE the front end parts and you can find a pic of the parts on a car and what they adjust, now remember if the tire is on the ground adjustments will be a little tougher and it may need doing 2-3 times to get it close. You may need to adjust and drive then recheck the string deal. basically if the string is riding flat on the front and rear of both tires it is pretty damn close to aligned.

RT22
Car: 1991 nissan hardbody

here is exploded front end view look at the lower middle right side of view click on part numbers and then you will see the tie rod assy. That is the part you lossen the clamp on and screw rod to adjust toe.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/hardbody-t ... _3291.html

Saudade

You've been driving it for 10 years like this?? Why the sudden desire to "fix" it?

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

toe is easy to fix. You need a buddy, a couple wrenches, and a tape measure.

The adjustment is in the tierods. You'll find two lock nuts on the tierod ends holding a center adjuster in place. Loosen those (one is right hand thread, the other is left hand thread). Then you turn the center adjuster on the tierod to move it in and out.

Get your steering wheel straight on a flat hard surface...if the left is toed in, you'll want to adjust the tierod to be longer.

To fine tune, you may need to adjust both sides. ultimately you'll want between 1/8-1/4" of toe in. To find this, find a common point of reference on your tire tread before you start on each tire and have your buddy help you hold the dumb end of the tape measure so you can get a measurement on the front, and at the rear of the tires using the hub centerline as a reference point both ways. Ideally your front measurement is 1/8-1/4" less than the rear. Each time you make adjustments, roll the truck backward and forward a few feet before you take another measurement so the wheels right themselves.

Be sure to retighten the lock nuts when you get it where you want it.

bslyth
Car: 1995 Nissan Hardbody V6

So, y'all talked about doing it with it on the ground. Can this be done with the truck on a body lift? Does having the free play of the suspension make this process easier?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There's nothing wrong with making a toe adjustment in the air provided you already know from ground measurements how much adjustment is needed. Cambering and CA angles will alter the absolute distance between wheels when lifted, so re-measure with the vehicle raised, then apply the adjustment to that measurement and not the ground measurement.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”