1995 j30t brake job

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
sr230mike
Car: 1995 j30t

Im going to do a brake job any perils?? should I use factory pads?

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Factory or Stillen rotors are recommended as for brake pads, a lot of J owners prefer OEM. They last the longest and deleiver optimum stopping power. For the record, I don't use OEM, I've discovered a local manufacturer, who's got brake pads that outperform the J's OEM pads. Unfortunatly, they don't sell in the US.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Theres a lot of good pads out there. The J30 hsa the same brakes in the front as the Q.....

For overall performance and longevity and quietness, go with the OEM... Hard to go wrong with those.. If you do serious driving, the OEM brakes arent really up to the task.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

driverdriver wrote:Factory or Stillen rotors are recommended as for brake pads, a lot of J owners prefer OEM. They last the longest and deleiver optimum stopping power. For the record, I don't use OEM, I've discovered a local manufacturer, who's got brake pads that outperform the J's OEM pads. Unfortunatly, they don't sell in the US.
How much are they in USD?

I have to buy new rotors soon and will be going with irotors or some other ebay brand that jeff williams recommended.

You wanna put together a group buy for everyone who needs pads for their J? I know I wouldnt mind paying a little extra for some premium pads.

1993TanJ30
Car: 1993 J30

Agreed!

daltonnnn
Car: 1993 Infiniti j30

I am going to put some AXXIS pads on my j soon, when my rotors come in, and I am also able to get them ordered for you and shipped to your door if you want them. Let me know.

DominickJ30

daltonnnn wrote:I am going to put some AXXIS pads on my j soon, when my rotors come in, and I am also able to get them ordered for you and shipped to your door if you want them. Let me know.
What kind of rotors?

atlanta_shooter
Car: 1997 J30

Just received Akebono Pro-Act Ceramic frt pads and Brembo OEM rotors for my '97 J30 from Tire Rack.com. Brembo is a well respected mfgr and they claim to machine their rotors to tighter specs than OEM...$120/pair. Akebono is not well known to US consumers, but they also are very well respected OEM suppliers to Nissan, Mercedes, etc. They design/formulate their pads for specific applications, i.e. unlike Raybestos and other house hold name brands, you won't get the same pads for your J30 that a Ford owner gets just because they may be the same size. I have heard nothing but glowing reports on this companies products. They have a large manufacturing plant in Kentucky for the US market. I paid $47 for the pads which include the proper shims.

Bottomline, I got pads and rotors incl. shipping for about $190. I'll let you know how all works out.

diamond
Car: Wife's Daily driver is J30 , 58 Cheby Sport Sedan Lowrider is my style .

r4s carbon kevlar pads from porterfield dissapate heat alot better than oem and less dust.200.00 shipped.my brakes are my best friend.im on my second set of pads.they lasted a long time.especially in northwest climate.they have never faded on me.

NismoChi
Car: 94 J30

diamond wrote:r4s carbon kevlar pads from porterfield dissapate heat alot better than oem and less dust.200.00 shipped.
$200 just for the pads, are you kidding me?

diamond

no joke.i use there rotors to.much better than oem.dont have to turn them everytime i turn around.gets old to me fast.throw in some lines and modulation is excelent.they use porterfields on high end porsches and lambo's..cars like that.thats there oem.hehe

DominickJ30

NismoChi wrote:$200 just for the pads, are you kidding me?
If it lasts longer wont it be worth it?

diamond

i meant the rotors dominic.lol.rotors are better...pads wear different depending on driver.i bet i put at least 70,000 on them,easy.there was 20% left still too.i stop fast and smooth.most people grab something.hehe.not use to it,lol.i like to watch there faces light up.never missed a drivway yet,lol.one thing i like is nice tires and brakes for the car cause its like doing away with the funky non skid stuff..i hate when the brakes no skid kicks in .drives me crazy.drove 30 years without it just fine,lol.rotors are reasonable tho.very.with a full system in he car sitting at least 4500 pounds on trips never did i ever wish for better brakes..only funky thing is i had them copy my lines...they made it with a joint in the middle.mine never leaked yet.mayhem said one of his did tho.i preped mine before i put on.i would tell them that if they made some more no need to copy the middle,just one continuoes line like most.sometimes things like that happen having them go off proto's.ok,ive lost myself,time to read.i got some stillens.they remind me of drilled oem.soft.different looking metal altogether.looks like oem.
Modified by diamond at 1:19 AM 9/4/2005

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”