1995 Infiniti Q45 Low Idle and stalling

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
NextG50
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45t

Hello everyone! I recently got my car back from the mechanic for issues of it stalling out. He cleaned the throttle body and said that fixed it. On the drive home it drove way better than it ever did. It was smooth and I was very happy with the work done. However today when I took it on a drive I decided to push it a bit and get it into high RPMs. It was find until I slowed down to stop at a red light and it stalled out like it always did. I was able to get it started again but then it stalled out at another light under normal driving conditions. Now I'm sitting in a parking lot and it's idling at about 520 rpm. I did some research and the normal idle speed is higher than that. I know the coil packs and the MAF are some common failure points that cause this. Is there anything else I should look for?

fontana dan
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

How many miles on the car? How many miles since mechanic visit? Is the engine light on? Is there old gas or water in the tank?
I would probably check the oil level then go on a long road and give it some more shoe with the engine in high rpm.

98_Q45

Idk about 95s but I have my idle all the way down to 625-650 rpm on neutral on my phone car scanner. When I shift to drive it drops down to 500ish. No stalling.

I had this problem before on my 97 Maxima. Drove me crazy for months, a new MAF fixed it. Every now and then it’ll stall out, but only if go into reverse too soon before warmed up.

But could be idle air control valve. Just telling my experience. Many of these 90s Nissan parts last frustratingly long. I say frustrating because I changed idle air control valve thinking it would fix the problem, it didn’t. End up putting the old one back on.

Seems the only things I can’t get to last more than 200,000 miles are the alternator and tires lol.

NextG50

fontana dan wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:01 pm
How many miles on the car? How many miles since mechanic visit? Is the engine light on? Is there old gas or water in the tank?
I would probably check the oil level then go on a long road and give it some more shoe with the engine in high rpm.
Sorry for the late reply but there are about 82000 miles on the car. There are no check engine lights. I haven't driven the car much since the most recent mechanic visit as I've been trying to figure out what to do. There shouldn't be any old gas or water in the tank since I've had the car for a few years and this issue started last year when I was still driving it frequently. Any time I push the car to high RPM it stalls out right after I back off the throttle and come to a stop. It's stalled out several times while I was still moving at highway speeds.
Last edited by NextG50 on Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NextG50

98_Q45 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:14 pm
Idk about 95s but I have my idle all the way down to 625-650 rpm on neutral on my phone car scanner. When I shift to drive it drops down to 500ish. No stalling.

I had this problem before on my 97 Maxima. Drove me crazy for months, a new MAF fixed it. Every now and then it’ll stall out, but only if go into reverse too soon before warmed up.

But could be idle air control valve. Just telling my experience. Many of these 90s Nissan parts last frustratingly long. I say frustrating because I changed idle air control valve thinking it would fix the problem, it didn’t. End up putting the old one back on.

Seems the only things I can’t get to last more than 200,000 miles are the alternator and tires lol.
The car will drive fine until it warms up which is when it starts to do weird s*** like stalling. I'm going to purchase a new MAF first since that seems to be a very common issue. My uncle who worked with a lot of these cars in the 90s and 00s said that it could be the coil packs. I really hope it's not these since they are very expensive.

cbird805
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

Check your fuel pump and FPCU. It sounds like it's starting to go bad.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

cbird805 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:46 pm
Check your fuel pump and FPCU. It sounds like it's starting to go bad.
This would be a good place for the OP to start. Measure fuel pressure, and see what it is doing under load. Could also be a restricted fuel filter.

Symptoms are not consistent with bad coil pax, which incidentally are much more failure prone on the FGY33 (VH41DE), and the G50/VH45DE.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”