1995 Altima GXE. Need help! Engine keeps dying.

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
kenh
Car: 1995 Nissan Altima

Hi Guys: I'm writing for my husband. He's ready to turn in our Altima to charity. So I need some advise if anyone can help....We have a 1995 Altima GXE, 128401 miles. It has been running so good. Just recently, the idle was low and the engine dies, when driving or idling. it has been costing us over 500.00 for replacing parts. New sparkplugs, muffler, distributor twice. The code on the computer said to replace distributor. So we replaced it, twice ,both using refurbished ones. Then thought the computer was faulty. Replaced that . Thought that solved it. We drove it around and seemed fine. Went out to start it later after acouple of hours, and it wouldn't start. Now what???

Altimasurgery801
Car: 1993 Nissan Altima

I would disconnect the ecu for 24 hours and reset it. depending on what type of dying you were talking about. I had a dying problem coming from my MAF anyway hope this helps.

kenh

Hey,, thanks for your response. The dying problem happens when idling or even when driving. Sometimes, it won't even start. I think the problem is in the distributor. Do you know what make distributor Nissan uses in their older Altima's? The dealership wants to charge me 500 to replace my old one. I can get a refurbished one and install it myself. But they wont tell me which make they use.

yxrdstr
Car: 1999 Nissan Frontier king Cab SE 4X4, 2006 Altima, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar

i would say the dist is bad, had a 95 also, it did the same thing with a refurbished, worked wen it wanted, put on a new one and drove another 80k then sold it 3 years ago and still see it around town.

95ka24

i would check the all the vacuum hoses first...make sure all hose are connected properly, if your hoses are good, have a mech check youthrottle position sensor.... it's connected tothe throttlebody..i always check the minor stuff first, you dnt wanna spend replacing the major parts, and find out that the problem is minor...also, this may take a while to do, but, check your PCV valve too....

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”